CBB red gills, with pictures

Clarksski

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 10, 2016
Messages
297
Reaction score
310
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
hi
I have had my cbb for 2 years. I recently noticed that she re gills appear red and maybe swollen. She does seem to be breathing faster too. She does eat normally and doesn't appear to have any other lesions on her. My tank is well established, over 3 years, and her tank mates don't display any problems.
I did test for ammonia, and it was zero. I do tend to run nitrates though, around 40.
Any advice appreciated
 
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
hi
I have had my cbb for 2 years. I recently noticed that she re gills appear red and maybe swollen. She does seem to be breathing faster too. She does eat normally and doesn't appear to have any other lesions on her. My tank is well established, over 3 years, and her tank mates don't display any problems.
I did test for ammonia, and it was zero. I do tend to run nitrates though, around 40.
Any advice appreciated

Anything you can identify from this fish disease thread?
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.199/
 
No, nothing similar in the disease thread.
The picture I posted is pretty representative of how she looks though.
 
I suspect this is gill damage that's just "hanging down". If the fish is breathing well and there aren't any other symptoms, I wouldn't be too concerned, personally. I'd watch it's behavior closely, in case of infection.
 
I agree not a whole lot to do from here. A bath in Methalyne Blue would not hurt if you have it on hand. It's a great antiseptic.
 
I’ll keep my eyes on her and watch for infection. the stress of catching her might be worse on her in the long run. Will this go away on its own then? Or do you suppose she will always have the hanging gills?
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new