OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs really do house bubble algae haha.

I am shocked you struggle with high nitrates as here I am struggling with low nitrates for the longest time. What are you feeding? Have you thought of adding some corals such as zoanthids to eat nitrates ? I barely run my protein skimmer as the water is clean enough from my water changes. Skimmer barely produces and sludge.

I have started a second tank a while back for frag grow outs a 34 gallon with a 15 gallons sump. My protein skimmer is overkill their too. I just won the battle with turf algae GHA and other algaes from frags I've bought. The hobby truly is an addiction so as long as you have the patience and dedication.

Looking forward to the new build. Do you run gfo or carbon? I would up having to remove all carbon gfo etc to raise my nitrates a little
I feed LRS Reef Frenzy, but just the smallest amount I can manage to break off. I have 3 zoa colonies that are thriving as well as a hammer and frogspawn growing like crazy.

I run carbon to clear the water, no GFO.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fun fact. I always did my TDS testing at the source... seems reasonable right? Well for fun today I did a TDS test of my source (still 0ppm) and then did a test of my reservoir...guess what...18ppm. Now 18ppm is not the end of the world by any means, but I am curious as to why there is a discrepancy.....

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fun fact. I always did my TDS testing at the source... seems reasonable right? Well for fun today I did a TDS test of my source (still 0ppm) and then did a test of my reservoir...guess what...18ppm. Now 18ppm is not the end of the world by any means, but I am curious as to why there is a discrepancy.....
This could be a cause for the high Nitrates and phosphates !!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a cause for the high Nitrates and phosphates !!
That’s what I’m thinking. Only thing that doesn’t track is that I had these issues before my ATO container. Maybe that was caused from being an idiot though.

I guess I need to drain the 35 gallons and figure out how to clean this thing?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking. Only thing that doesn’t track is that I had these issues before my ATO container. Maybe that was caused from being an idiot though.

I guess I need to drain the 35 gallons and figure out how to clean this thing?
Was it diy or a bucket? Could just be the material.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - did you clean it before using it initially? Maybe something was left behind?

Def empty and clean thoroughly - vinegar should do wonders
That’s now the plan when I get back in town lol. It was new so I didn’t even think to clean it.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s now the plan when I get back in town lol. It was new so I didn’t even think to clean it.
Definitely need to clean and scrub anything like this for your aquarium. Vinegar, or rubbing alcohol and rinse very well. The manufacturing process leaves behind oily/weird residues. Even aquariums should be cleaned prior to use.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things:

1) Got an MP10 installed today, I love the extra flow I am getting and it got a ton out of the rock work.

2) Neptune still has not been able to recreate my issue, hopefully they will soon.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting to hear back from the reef club for a few weeks on borrowing the clubs meter.
I need to get a hold of one as well. I'm not happy with my growth at optimal parameters and knowing you have the same tank and lights I came here to see !

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Build Thread!

Follow Me Here!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unfortunate update. As much as I love this hobby, I will actually be needing to get out of it. As of this week, all of my livestock and dry goods are on the selling forum.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel comfortable, will you mind telling us what prompted this? Always sad to hear such news
Several reasons.

1) I have sucked at the hobby lately and I think it is better to step away than continue to harm animals.

2) I am shutting down operations of my current company to open a non profit. Meaning I am going from making good money to no money for quite some time, and want to eliminate as many financial stresses on my wife and I as possible.

Luckily this is not a frustrated and quitting sort of situation, this is just me being responsible and looking out for others.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back