CCOMBS FIRST REEF!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate news, the purple hammer got brown jelly disease while I was out of town. My wife quickly removed it and so far it appears the disease did not spread. I guess only time will tell. I called my LFS and they are ordering another purple hammer for me. Hopefully I can put this one in without incident.
Bummer.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Last night I checked on the coral and it opened up from a 'I am mad about being transported and cut' stage to a 'I am partially closed because the lights are off' stage. Let's see what happens when lights come on in a few hours.

This picture is this morning, lights still off.

IMG_4116.jpg
I own this one's brother. :) Looks good!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note. I have been very busy starting a non-traditional side business.

I will be producing DIY tutorial videos. My channel will be slightly different because I am not relying on social media or sponsors (two things I hate). I will only consider sponsors if I actually believe in the product.

I am hoping I will be able to get the channel rolling with the fine friends I have made on here, my friends at home, and shares due to the quality of content.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note. I have been very busy starting a non-traditional side business.

I will be producing DIY tutorial videos. My channel will be slightly different because I am not relying on social media or sponsors (two things I hate). I will only consider sponsors if I actually believe in the product.

I am hoping I will be able to get the channel rolling with the fine friends I have made on here, my friends at home, and shares due to the quality of content.
Cool! So that’s where you’ve been hiding!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos launched today for my non-fish side project!

For those of you who have seen some of my DIY in this thread and want more, check it out! Views and subscriptions really help me out alot.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question for all you reefers out there. I have decided that I want to build a new aquarium stand that is closed. That being said, once I build the new stand... how should I go about moving the tank from one stand to the other? Will I just need to remove as much water as I can stand and then move?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question for all you reefers out there. I have decided that I want to build a new aquarium stand that is closed. That being said, once I build the new stand... how should I go about moving the tank from one stand to the other? Will I just need to remove as much water as I can stand and then move?
no. Do not do that. You will need to empty the entire tank to move it. can you skin the stand as it currently is? I would consider that. Many folks build a 2x4 stand then skin it with beautiful but non structural exterior. After you add a couple pieces for support, then maybe remove the middle cool part?

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. Do not do that. You will need to empty the entire tank to move it. can you skin the stand as it currently is? I would consider that. Many folks build a 2x4 stand then skin it with beautiful but non structural exterior. After you add a couple pieces for support, then maybe remove the middle cool part?
Unfortunately the main reason is because I want the stand to be about a foot or so higher. I am 6'8" and I am tired of my view of the tank being top down and having to squat to see inside.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the main reason is because I want the stand to be about a foot or so higher. I am 6'8" and I am tired of my view of the tank being top down and having to squat to see inside.
well, It will be worth it in the long run, then. live and learn. we all do it. I am sure the tank will look rough for a short, bit and then hopefully recover beautifully.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, It will be worth it in the long run, then. live and learn. we all do it. I am sure the tank will look rough for a short, bit and then hopefully recover beautifully.
How should I handle corals on the rocks? Do I put the whole rock in a bucket of water or should I leave them out of the water for the transfer.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should I handle corals on the rocks? Do I put the whole rock in a bucket of water or should I leave them out of the water for the transfer.
What is generally done by most folks is set every thing into large spare perfectly clean container with a power head and heater because it will always take longer than you think. I have moved aquariums 4 times now. I got better and better at it. placing rocks in buckets with water seems like a good idea but stacking rocks just never worked out for me. it always mangled a coral or anemone. they survived but ... things worked better with multiple rubbermaid totes, well cleaned with vinegar. each with a heater and a power head. also rinse the sand with saltwater a bit because it will be bit detritus filled. only once did I find sulfa in my deep sandbed, and I decided to throw that section away. One time I did not rinse the sand and I got a algae, slim and a bacteria bloom. When I rinsed the sand it went better.
so rock with corals place in a single layer in a large rubbermaid bin, a heater, a powerhead, no light. rock with no coral can be stacked in a rubbermaid bin or in buckets, heater, powerhead. fish set in their own bucket with a heater, and powerhead. also be aware that fish my lodge themselves into the rock so stacking the rock made me anxious. I felt way better having the rock in rubbermaid bins in a single layer.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense just to handle it like a move. I did alot of reading on fish tank moves awhile back to mentally prepare myself for when that day eventually comes!

Thanks for the advice! Going the large route will also give me time to make the install cleaner, this will take a lot of thought!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back