CDA or IM

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife blessed off on a 3500 dollar CDA tank. Problem is my max budget is 5k. I have lights and skimmer. After tank and stand that does not leave much for everything else I need lpower headssump etc.
so I am considering going with IM which is 2300$ for tank and stand and leave allot more for other items.

I can build a sump and save some money.
building a stand is not a option.
I am coming back into hobby so I have allot of items. I need.

should I take it slow and go for CDA or get back in faster with a IM. This will also be the first new tank I have ever owned.

thanks for advice.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Patience is key on the hobby. CDA makes great looking tanks and I think in the long run you'd be happier with that.
A full set of power heads won't be needed in the beginning. Take your time, save for additional equipment on an as needed basis.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key on the hobby. CDA makes great looking tanks and I think in the long run you'd be happier with that.
A full set of power heads won't be needed in the beginning. Take your time, save for additional equipment on an as needed basis.
Thanks I feel like I will regret not getting the CDA, just nervous to drop that kinda cash

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife blessed off on a 3500 dollar CDA tank. Problem is my max budget is 5k. I have lights and skimmer. After tank and stand that does not leave much for everything else I need lpower headssump etc.
so I am considering going with IM which is 2300$ for tank and stand and leave allot more for other items.

I can build a sump and save some money.
building a stand is not a option.
I am coming back into hobby so I have allot of items. I need.

should I take it slow and go for CDA or get back in faster with a IM. This will also be the first new tank I have ever owned.

thanks for advice.
I just want to chime in and say that NuvoAquariums are really good quality and a lot of people have them and they look great (check out the member tanks posted up).

With that said, I fully support you going for the CDA. You kinda went straight to 'sounds good' after just one reply saying 'go for the CDA', which imo means you are absolutely set on the CDA. Nothing wrong with that! It's great you know exactly what you want (and why), so yeah, I would say go for the CDA as well, I think you will be much happier opting for the aquarium you want, even if it may take a longer time.

But yeah, I do want to give NuvoAquariums (they're the actual names of the aquariums by IM) a +1, in case down the line for example you might want to set up another tank or something and want something relatively easy to set up but also of good quality. ^_^

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to chime in and say that NuvoAquariums are really good quality and a lot of people have them and they look great (check out the member tanks posted up).

With that said, I fully support you going for the CDA. You kinda went straight to 'sounds good' after just one reply saying 'go for the CDA', which imo means you are absolutely set on the CDA. Nothing wrong with that! It's great you know exactly what you want (and why), so yeah, I would say go for the CDA as well, I think you will be much happier opting for the aquarium you want, even if it may take a longer time.

But yeah, I do want to give NuvoAquariums (they're the actual names of the aquariums by IM) a +1, in case down the line for example you might want to set up another tank or something and want something relatively easy to set up but also of good quality. ^_^
Well I was set on the ext 170 or ext 150 for a long time. Now that tax money came I started looking at other sites. I also requested quotes from many tank manufactures. And CDA was the first and only 1 other even responded.
then I looked at there stands on the CDA site and they look amazing. I expect the tank to last 10+ years and I am just concerned that the mass produced tanks won’t make the long run.
I really want the CDA but I am still not 100%. I have till their sale ends Friday to decide.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And my wife would prefer the 150 over the Cda because of cost and dimensions. I want a 60” tank she wants me to have a 48”

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was set on the ext 170 or ext 150 for a long time. Now that tax money came I started looking at other sites. I also requested quotes from many tank manufactures. And CDA was the first and only 1 other even responded.
then I looked at there stands on the CDA site and they look amazing. I expect the tank to last 10+ years and I am just concerned that the mass produced tanks won’t make the long run.
I really want the CDA but I am still not 100%. I have till their sale ends Friday to decide.
Ahhhh okay. Gotcha.

Hm, in that case, can I ask if 5k is for everything, including live stock? Or just dry stock?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5k is for equipment.
I see.

Hm. So if you get the 150, that does leave like, heaps and heaps left for other things, which is great. What do you reckon are the chances you can convince your wife for you to get a 60"? Or do you reckon 48" is better?

Also another thing I just remembered, reading through the ex150, is the build of the stand. You mentioned that you really like CDA's stand. Well if you read the review in the ex150 page on the IM website, you'll see a comment about the stand build being... quite eh. And I agree. It is sturdy enough for the tank, but not much else. In fact I would say for the price point, it is quite disappointing.

So now that I remembered and had to mention that issue with the IM stand, hm... have you looked at some other 'mass-produced' aquariums, like a Cade or Red Sea?

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see.

Hm. So if you get the 150, that does leave like, heaps and heaps left for other things, which is great. What do you reckon are the chances you can convince your wife for you to get a 60"? Or do you reckon 48" is better?

Also another thing I just remembered, reading through the ex150, is the build of the stand. You mentioned that you really like CDA's stand. Well if you read the review in the ex150 page on the IM website, you'll see a comment about the stand build being... quite eh. And I agree. It is sturdy enough for the tank, but not much else. In fact I would say for the price point, it is quite disappointing.

So now that I remembered and had to mention that issue with the IM stand, hm... have you looked at some other 'mass-produced' aquariums, like a Cade or Red Sea?
For long term I would feel better about euro bracing. I did look at Red Sea allot it the MDF stand, metric plumbing and sump that allot of people seem to replace made me look else ware. Cade is very appealing with there stand but I’m unsure how I feel about their weird ATO and I’d prefer to pick my sump.
The only other brand I was really interested In was SCA but there website does not give me a warm and fuzzy I don’t really feel I would know what will arrive if I order from them. I see allot of their builds on here. But most people seem to DIY the stands

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any one else that might have same question. That @Azedenkae was right my mind was made up before I asked.
I just sent my deposit to CDA ;VomitI’ll let you al know if it was worth it in 4 months.
:D Congrats on making the selection! And apologies for not responding to your previously reply. I hope your tank will turn out exactly as you envision it to be! ^_^

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CDA 150 gal and love it, you won't be disappointed. Check out my build, I had tank stand built taller to raise viewing height. Took about 4 months and Zoya was very helpful and responded to all my questions and guided me through the process.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back