CDmini Peninsula mini 25 build

CDMini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

This build is about six months underway now. Started out as an all in one water box peninsula mini 25. Then I got my hands on it and we’ll I can never leave anything the way it is. I had the filtration system for my old 150 still sitting in the garage from when I upgraded so I figured hey why not put it on a 25 gallon haha. That way I can stock the heck out of it and not worry. Always found for me in reefing more water equals more stable.

My goal for this tank is to add a little color in the office and raise some Juvenile fish for my other tank. I have been trying to only buy captive breed fish and well they always seem to come so small.

I converted the compartments on the back to add in an Eshopps PF Nano . Though I do wonder if I need to seal off the return compartment as it seems a bit stagnant? Could also possibly move the MP-10 in there that way as I hate it’s current spot in the viewing pane.

Overflow goes to a Reef Octopus re-circulating skimmer that feeds into the sump/refurgium. Currently has about 2” sand bed and 2 gallons of Marine Pure Bio Media spheres. Still looking for some clean macro to add and a refurgium light. I also run a BRS 2 chamber GFO and Carbon reactor though I run PhosBond instead of GFO so I don’t have to watch the tumble. Last but not least down there is an Aqua Duetto ATO and quiet one 4000 return pump.

Everything sits on a DIY 4’ stand I may have went a bit overkill here or maybe it was the reef brain already thinking about upgrading to a 4’ peninsula haha.

Coming soon is the Apex controller and doser. As the tank is still so new I haven’t added coral yet so this is still on the to get list. I do have a unused calcium reactor in the garage but I think I am going to go two part on this one or drip kalkwasser. Still up in the air in that one.

Up top is a Radion HD 16 for lighting with net top. Though I think I might move up to the eco tech here shortly or maybe the Radion 32. I really like the Radion so far. Current stocking is 1 biota baby yellow tang. Yes tang police it is going into a 250 when big enough it wouldnt last a day in there right now. 2 ORA Red Sea Two Stripe Clarkii Clowns. 1 ORA Yellow Watchman Goby. My break from captive breed is a exquisite fire fish, gift from a friend. Who gifts fish without asking haha. Also one cleaner shrimp and various hermits and snails. Still thinking about trying to raise a biota green mandarin but the reviews have me scared and while I have a ton of pods I am still on the fence with that one. If anyone has had any luck would love to hear about it. Also looking for a pistol shrimp for the goby and that would complete my fish stocking I think.

Well there is the break down. I will start adding some pics of the setup over the next few. It’s lights out right now don’t want to scare anything with a flash.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and gals not to many reefers up here in Tahoe, California. It’s tough to find anyone to nerd out with and I think my wife’s about to kill me if I talk about reefing anymore these days.

D6C86EC5-FF3E-4A84-91D8-F92A58055A14.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to the club cd! My wife is the same way, i have to tone down the fish talk.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be doing any corals? I'd be concerned about too much filtration stripping away all of your nutrients..

OP
OP
CDMini

CDMini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Kenny,

Yes I will be doing coral, I agree with you on the nutrients. Once I get the fish stoked think I am going to have to monitor it for awhile and see before adding coral. I like going with the heavy in heavy out method but you might be right on this one and totally strip it. If nitrate and phosphate go to zero I will back the media reactor down and only run it intermittently or lower the amount of media in the chambers.

Thanks for the input definitely something to keep an eye on.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back