Censorship

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered this, but I have seen some censorship in the buy and sell forum too... people trying to sell their rainbow nems as sunbursts and then posts getting deleted when people have told perspective buyers that they are fake. I did not care for this since this board is supposed to be a community and communities help people - these were not argumentative people trying to derail a sale, they were offering honesty and help to the buyers. If you are legit, then you are legit. However, one dude was confronted for selling many fake pieces of acropora and this was let go and his account locked (maybe he did it, maybe not... I don' t know).

At some point, if this is about WWC and how they operate, then this is on the buyer... if you don't know that they are mostly a quick to name chop shop with greasy photos and prices higher than most, then this is on you. They are not all bad, but they are what they are...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
these were not argumentative people trying to derail a sale, they were offering honesty and help to the buyers. If you are legit, then you are legit. However, one dude was confronted for selling many fake pieces of acropora and this was let go and his account locked (maybe he did it, maybe not... I don' t know).

At some point, if this is about WWC and how they operate, then this is on the buyer... if you don't know that they are mostly a quick to name chop shop with greasy photos and prices higher than most, then this is on you
The ones in market place, aren't actually a sponsor. I seen plenty of those guys tossed out the doors.

This is more about sponsor protection.

Now, for wwc, how can someone new to the hobby, know this information if it is missing, lost, buried? I can not find any threads saying why someone shouldn't buy from these overly priced vendors.

I have seen a few posts of people asking "should I buy x-coral for x-amount?" And the reply is just this. "Up to you!" "if you like it, buy it."

And the OP responds with "but is this over priced?"

I leave it at that.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough. I have gotten crushed on here for suggesting that BRS makes videos to sell their stuff, not to give unbiased reviews. I have seen people mention all of these things about WWC, Vivid and the like. I am a huge caveat emptor guy, but I get that it takes work and people are not huge on this anymore. I am on on any social media, so I have no idea if the reviews out there are real or full of fanboys. There are no easy answers here.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am on on any social media, so I have no idea if the reviews out there are real or full of fanboys. There are no easy answers here.
Exactly. I think I seen that thread. I don't like how reason can be flushed down the toilet so quickly.
I have been in the hobby long enough, I try to figure out the tricks being played. Everyone has to push sales.
I like listen to both sides when new products come out. But, if there isn't 2 sides and only 1 positive side, I wonder why. Not a lot of new people in the hobby think about that.

OP
OP
ReefRy

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, what Mibu and jda are saying speaks to the heart of the issue and why I wanted to have a discussion. Where is the line, exactly, and is it so blatant as those that pay are beyond reproach while those that don't are subject to happenstance. And then, when the non-sponsors get shredded, does that then become the example of the free market speaking, policing itself, etc. All the while, the sponsored goods and services receive a level of protection only money can buy, thus receiving an unearned and artificial bump in sales while depressing the market for others.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tough. I have gotten crushed on here for suggesting that BRS makes videos to sell their stuff, not to give unbiased reviews. I have seen people mention all of these things about WWC, Vivid and the like. I am a huge caveat emptor guy, but I get that it takes work and people are not huge on this anymore. I am on on any social media, so I have no idea if the reviews out there are real or full of fanboys. There are no easy answers here.

Got to agree with your point about BRS. Noticed it big time when they started pushing Triton products, of late it's been Tropic Marin.

Do not feel like there's censorship with an OP about a Vendor on R2R's vendor feedback forum.
If you let everyone dive in it would be non-productive with a lot more drama.

Overall it's a good discussion with tough calls that R2R has made.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back