Ceramic Bio Media

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to Hijack the Bo Balls thread but it spurred a question for me. I was going to add ceramic biomeadia to my refug. Do they have the same problems as the bio ball? Would you avoid them also?

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the marine pure ceramic plate from bulk reef supply. I am setting up a tank with no live rock or substrate. I am going to use this and see what happens :). I feel that it will work just fine.

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the problems. From the BRS video the plastic bio balls dry out in a very short period of time. Where the ceramic ones will hold water for a longer period of time.

They have a much greater surface area and (from the videos) less of a chance of failure.

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use it because I used less than the suggested amount of rock for my tank. I purchased mine from BRS also.

Thanks

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I say have at it. It says to make sure there is a decent amount of flow through it. Just toss it into a high flow area of you sump and call it good.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just monitor it for detritus build up. IMO, even live rock can become a nitrate factory if detritus is allowed to build up on it. Also, if you decide to do a cleaning of it don't do it all at once. This can disrupt the balance that is going on.

GregAW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an older thread but I assume you've received and put into use the MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia. I was wondering what you thought about its performance? Is it worth the money? I've been looking at it, Thanks

yort265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, too, would like to know how it's worked out. I'm going for a minimal aquascape, so I'll probably not have the appropriate amt of live rock in the display tank, so I was thinking about adding the bio media by marine pure to the sump... in theory this should work, right?

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using the 8" blocks and so far so good. I just tested nitrate last night and it tested 0 nitrates. I feed 3-4x/day and use Acropwer amino acids and Reefroids too. I also use all ceramic rock so I say go for it!

AquaCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice...I seen the blocks on brs awhile back and was interested but the price is a bit crazy in my opinion. Just found em on DFS for a lot cheaper so might get some...
What kind of ceramic rocks do you use? whered you get?

AquaCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting stuff! I am gonna need some more rock for my new build, I may just try some of that instead

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run ceramic media in my sump and would not be without it. Initially before the ceramic media balls I couldn't get my nitrates below 8. Since adding the Bio balls no only do my nitrates 0 out but my water quality has been fantastic. I don't believe these things are magic. They just give you more surface are for bacteria to grow than most live rock. I still have 75lbs or more of live rock and rubble in my 65 gallon systems that holds roughly 90 gallons of total system volume. There is no drawbacks to adding them....NONE. Only positive benefits.

As for detritus build up I would say it depends where you put them. If you put them in a high flow area then no. If you put them somewhere that will allow detritus to settle on them and have little to no flow then yes. I would absolutely recommend adding these to your system especially if you don't have the extra space for lots of LR or if you just want to add additional filtration to your system.

Again these things aren't a magical solution to bad tank husbandry but if you use them correctly they could be an immense bonus to the overall health of your system. Just keep them in a high flow area. I wouldn't put them in a refugium personally. I put mine in a 1 gallon container that sits directly in my sump where the overflow drains. Incredible flow and amazing results so far with this method.

Hope this has been a help.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I plan on using in my sump. CalmSeaQuest is using it in his and him I trust :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394528718.207453.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back