Oil Slick Off of New Bio Spheres

CayoHueso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling a new nano tank (IM Fusion 20 Gallon), and I got a pack of Seaside Aquatics ceramic bio-spheres from BRS to put in the back of the AIO. The spheres just come in a mesh media bag from BRS tossed in cardboard shipping box. The media bag was in tatters too with holes ripped (or chewed) out. So I figured I would give them a rinse off before putting them in the new tank. Rinsed out a small new HD bucket and filled it with RODI water and tossed in the media bag with the spheres. Came back after an hour and notice a nasty slick on the surface of the water. So I'm very glad I decided to rinse them. Switched out the water with fresh RODI water and came back again after another hour, and there was new slick. So I figured I'll switch out the water again and let them soak for 24 hours. Came back after 24 hours switched out the water again with fresh RODI water. Came back after half an hour and... there's still a nasty slick on the surface. I've swapped the water multiple times, let them soak and rinse.

Any thoughts? I reluctant to add these to the tank.

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 12.32.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 12.33.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 12.33.30 PM.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back