Ceramics and High Silicate In Tank

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I did an ICP test about 5 months ago since I've been battling what looks like diatoms for 18 months now. I can't confirm that without a microscope but it appears on my sand bed and glass in the daytime and dissipates at night. The ICP test showed my silicate level at 515 µg/l. I started running a GFO in a reactor which seemed to help but the phosphate went to near 0PPM and the nitrate went upward of 16PPM and my macro algae in the refugium started to bleach out - naturally. One thing the ICP test mentioned is that ceramics can cause high silicates. I do have the MarinePure ceramic balls in the bed of my refugium. Could this be what's been causing the issues? My RODI water is 0 TDS and the well I draw from has a TDS of 124. Before I buy a silicate test kit, I was just wondering if the ceramic balls could be the culprit.
Current values are Nitrate 12PPM and Phosphate .02.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water would have a bunch of Si too, and it's pretty hard to remove all of it.
So I'm not sure the ceramic (though possible) is the likeliest source.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume it is the ceramics, as many either do not contain silicate or do not dissolve.

Testing the RO/DI is a good plan. Silicate can be hard to bind.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back