Certain types of zoa closing

Gadaadhoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago all the yellow brick road zoas in my tank closed at the same time. This was odd because they were in patches scattered around the tank. After a few weeks they died back part-way but then the survivors opened up again and have done ok since. Now all the patches of spiderman zoas in my tank have closed at the same time, even the ones on my frag rack. Again everuthing else is fine, including my surviving yellow brick road zoas. What kind of infection or irritant can target one type of zoa at a time? This is confusing to me.

16249315719115516031815543056159.jpg

Deyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s chemical warfare.. try moving it elsewhere and see if it helps. I’m going thru similar things. I think there’s a lot more that’s unknown. I think certain strains carry stuff that might infected other from different regions.. and they cannot cope but others will!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Group die-offs of specific strains throughout the tank happen occasionally. This is especially the case with larger colonies in smaller aquariums (had this issue occasionally when I was in a 75gal). Provided none of the usual variables have changed (salt, RO quality, dosing schedule, age on bulbs/replacement- if you’re not using LEDs) the best thing to do is a decent water change and run a bag of chemi-pure.

OP
OP
Gadaadhoon

Gadaadhoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Those were the general thoughts I had as well. Wanted to make sure there wasn't something more specific I was missing.

OP
OP
Gadaadhoon

Gadaadhoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemed to open a little with each water change so I started running carbon and the next morning all the colonies were at least a little open. Seems most likely a toxin.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back