ch has killed my last fish :( should I remove my condy nem and crustaceans?

dwb_david

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich has killed my blue tang today, after a long battle trying to beat it.

May she rest in her porcelain casket.

This was just after a decent rumble with diatoms which it seems we are coming out victorious.

My question is, is keeping my crabs (1 emerald, 1 red tip, 3 blue tip, and 1 Cortez), my Condy Nem, 1 cleaner shrimp, and my snails in there while the parasite dies off dangerous?

I will be doing regular water changes for the next couple of months until I feel the water is safe. Is it possible to keep them in there while I do this?

Also, any recommendations for new fish with my current crew would be greatly appreciated!

30g tank.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Your tank has to remain fallow for 76 days for ich (this is also long enough for velvet).

In terms of fish, there are numerous choices for a 30-gallon. I'd probably avoid another tang so as to not run afoul of the Tang Police, but a pair of clownfish, dottyback or royal gramma, blenny, goby, cardinal, dartfish (etc.) are all good choices for a smaller tank.

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Your tank has to remain fallow for 76 days for ich.
Can you explain your thinking?

The tank needs to be fallowed (insert debated times here) of hosts for the parasite. That's all fish.

If all fish are out of the system, the clock has started. There is no negative effect of having inverts in a fallow tank as nems and crabs are not hosts of ick and can't prolong the life cycle.

I fallowed my tank from a velvet wipe out with 2 dozen different inverts and half a dozen nems.

If OP was planning to copper bomb the tank, yes inverts would need to come out. Just fallowing, no. No issues there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was just after a decent rumble with diatoms which it seems we are coming out victorious.

My question is, is keeping my crabs (1 emerald, 1 red tip, 3 blue tip, and 1 Cortez), my Condy Nem, 1 cleaner shrimp, and my snails in there while the parasite dies off dangerous?

I will be doing regular water changes for the next couple of months until I feel the water is safe. Is it possible to keep them in there while I do this?

Also, any recommendations for new fish with my current crew would be greatly appreciated!

30g tank.

Thanks all!

Inverts are fine.

I would not recommend any Tangs for a 30g no matter how 'small' they may be.

Putting active fish with large potential size in small tanks causes stress which causes disease and death....

Small clowns like occys/percs, gobies, small blennies, royal gramma, etc.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain your thinking?

The tank needs to be fallowed (insert debated times here) of hosts for the parasite. That's all fish.

If all fish are out of the system, the clock has started. There is no negative effect of having inverts in a fallow tank as nems and crabs are not hosts of ick and can't prolong the life cycle.

I fallowed my tank from a velvet wipe out with 2 dozen different inverts and half a dozen nems.

If OP was planning to copper bomb the tank, yes inverts would need to come out. Just fallowing, no. No issues there.
I understood that the tang that died was the only fish and that the Op was just going to let the tank sit fallow without any treatment (since he didn't mention any other fish in his livestock list). But yes, I agree - if you want to fallow your tank for (x) days you can't have any fish present nor can you run any kind of treatment that may be harmful to inverts.

OP
OP
dwb_david

dwb_david

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts are fine.

I would not recommend any Tangs for a 30g no matter how 'small' they may be.

Putting active fish with large potential size in small tanks causes stress which causes disease and death....

Small clowns like occys/percs, gobies, small blennies, royal gramma, etc.
I am afraid to get clowns because of the condy nem potentially eating it. However, I was thinking about putting a bubble tip nem on the opposite side of the tank.

Would that work?

The candy is pretty well fed and has never moved.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understood that the tang that died was the only fish and that the Op was just going to let the tank sit fallow without any treatment (since he didn't mention any other fish in his livestock list). But yes, I agree - if you want to fallow your tank for (x) days you can't have any fish present nor can you run any kind of treatment that may be harmful to inverts.
Gotcha. The title led me to think the Tang in a 30g was the last to die and the last in the tank.

I think OP was asking if the inverts and nem needed to come out, to start the fallow countdown.

"My question is, is keeping my crabs (1 emerald, 1 red tip, 3 blue tip, and 1 Cortez), my Condy Nem, 1 cleaner shrimp, and my snails in there while the parasite dies off dangerous?"

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

30g tank.

Thanks all!
just fallow the tank and feed them while doing so, pretty simple. NO 100% wcs. just do regular WCs as you normally would. The parasite will not attack inverts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back