Chaeto and Kessil A80 TUNA BLUE

trustmeimalawyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone:

Wanted to get thoughts on whether a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue is capable of growing chaeto. I had a spare one laying around and threw it over my sump. The first round I used some old chaeto from the prior tank that wasn’t doing so well and it never grew. Round 2, I got a fairly large ball from another member and it doesn’t appear to have grown. I started dosing iron using Randy Holmes Fergon reciple. The chaeto looks nice and green but doesn’t appear to be growing. My nitrates are 16 and phosphate is 0.8 so there def are nutrients to feed them. I’m stumped and starting to guess it’s the light, although I assumed it should be able to grow the chaeto, albeit not as efficient as a different set up. Any thoughts on whether the light is adequate or not? TIA!

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have the tuna blue, I have the purple grow light one. It doesnt grow fast. Before I had the 160 blue and it grew like crazy. I'd guess the difference between the grow light and tuna blue isnt that big. I'm thinking about going back to the 160

OP
OP
T

trustmeimalawyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an interesting perspective, as I assumed the grow lights was hands-down a better performer. How many hours do you keep your light on?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The all white spectrum from Kessil's Yuna Blue is about 10k, and the A80 and H80s are only 15W lights. I run my H80 Tuna Flora 16 hours at night, chaeto grows fine. I wouldn't call it explosive growth, but it's steady. I'd need a more powerful light for better growth.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2 Tuna blues to grow some macros - my anecdotal experience was that green algaes grew better under the max "white" setting. Didn't get much growth under the "blues".

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone:

Wanted to get thoughts on whether a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue is capable of growing chaeto. I had a spare one laying around and threw it over my sump. The first round I used some old chaeto from the prior tank that wasn’t doing so well and it never grew. Round 2, I got a fairly large ball from another member and it doesn’t appear to have grown. I started dosing iron using Randy Holmes Fergon reciple. The chaeto looks nice and green but doesn’t appear to be growing. My nitrates are 16 and phosphate is 0.8 so there def are nutrients to feed them. I’m stumped and starting to guess it’s the light, although I assumed it should be able to grow the chaeto, albeit not as efficient as a different set up. Any thoughts on whether the light is adequate or not? TIA!

I'd say no based on your experience with 2 batches. I mean, is any micro algae growing? Like film on glass or hair algae

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back