Chaeto Anyone?

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tossing the idea of adding a refugium with macroalgae for a long time now. I would love to hear pros and cons from everyone and also see some photos of different setups. I know there are some experts on the subject of algae filtration out there!

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I am no expert but if you do go with a refugium remember the slower the flow through it the better. Give the macro time to do its thing :wink:
Here is my little set up I just finished. 10 gallon DIY sump/refugium...I am going to add some Halimeda and maybe maybe some red mangrove in the display
SANY0289.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you with certainty that the one best thing I ever did to reduce unwanted algae growth was to grow chaeto in my sump. And after using a fancy LED light and a couple others I found that what worked best was a simple shop light with a 6500K CFL bulb. I remove a soccer ball size mass of chaeto out of the sump every month.

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added Chaeto in a bag once, a long time ago and had problems with small pieces clogging my main drive pump. T.W., do you have a lid on that compartment.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, in order for the Cheato to be of any help, its gotta be comprable in size to your tank, or its not going to do much. If you use a small ball, it will grow, but givin the size of any givin tank how much will it help that tank. The above pic with that small amount I would say is good for a 10g tank sump. Not saying its a bad thing, because over time the cheato will finally be big enough to actually polish the water for you, if, now this is seperate, your sump is big enough also, to hold enough Cheato to polish the water. Now, if used in conjunction with a ATS, now we are in business. That together would polish any system really well.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no lid on the fuge. prior to this I had the chaeto in my drain/skimmer section and YES I had to unclog my skimmer intake. No issues now as the flow through the fuge does not carry any pieces out (yet). My fuge is better than 10% of my total water volume in size. My chaeto has almost doubled in size over the three weeks its been in, so its still fairly new and I am learning what makes it grow faster. using a 6500k cfl bulb

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you have in yours?
I have read different instructions on setting up an ATS but they always look difficult to me.

First, in order for the Cheato to be of any help, its gotta be comprable in size to your tank, or its not going to do much. If you use a small ball, it will grow, but givin the size of any givin tank how much will it help that tank. The above pic with that small amount I would say is good for a 10g tank sump. Not saying its a bad thing, because over time the cheato will finally be big enough to actually polish the water for you, if, now this is seperate, your sump is big enough also, to hold enough Cheato to polish the water. Now, if used in conjunction with a ATS, now we are in business. That together would polish any system really well.

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a nice job on your sump!

no lid on the fuge. prior to this I had the chaeto in my drain/skimmer section and YES I had to unclog my skimmer intake. No issues now as the flow through the fuge does not carry any pieces out (yet). My fuge is better than 10% of my total water volume in size. My chaeto has almost doubled in size over the three weeks its been in, so its still fairly new and I am learning what makes it grow faster. using a 6500k cfl bulb

jtgordon20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you have in yours?
I have read different instructions on setting up an ATS but they always look difficult to me.

I just set up an ATS but not the waterfall, the UAS. Check out algaescrubbers.com. it was easy and cheap. It is still establishing buy looking promising.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that one. How long do you think it will take to start working?

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the cons in using Chaeto? I know there people out there that just don't like it..

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that would be an interesting answer, I would even like to hear the bad side.

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True Lol! Well I think I am going to get some. I may have a problem getting it to tumble enough. My sump is basically taken up with equipment and socks. Does anyone use another kind of algae? As everyone can see by my avatar, space is a premium for my tank. ( I know, I need a new/better photo!)

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is never tumbled it grows like a weed. I think tumbling is overrated. if I feed heavy I have to harvest mine once a week. if you can think of anything bad please tell me because I can't think of any!

OP
OP
3Twinklets

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very interesting. Almost everything you read says it needs to be tumbled. Now I wonder why. And I can only think of one reason, even though I never asked the people that did not care for it why, is that maybe because the clogging aspect.
Does anyone have the hang on type of refugium? Or an enclosed type?
It would be nice to be able to keep brine shrimp with the macro.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a power head shooting straight at mine, and it doesn't do much. I thinkin of pointing it elsewhere.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back