Chaeto dying yet I’m reading nitrates and phosphates.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
. I had chaeto growing the size of two basketballs in my sump. I have a large sump 40 gallons with a large bio load. I’ll list the changes I did since my chaeto died.

1) I had white bugs and dosed interceptor
2) added magnesium
3) I changed my carbon quite a bit this last month. 5 times I’m thinking I may have stripped some micro element too much maybe iron ? I’m sending an Icp ms on Monday.

I follow RMS and dose micro elements daily including pure iron.

IMG_1182.png IMG_1456.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are you dosing trace daily? How do you test these levels?

What are your complete current parameters?
I dose daily to prevent large fluctuations and test this with ICP. I tried chaeto grow but it would spike elements very high if not done on a daily basis so now I follow reef moonshiners and there are daily elements to be dosed. I’ve been doing this the last year. I test these dailies with ICP MS through reef moonshiners. I add 0.4 ml of iron daily and check this with the ICP MS version. I have not changed these dosages for the last 3 months. I dose manganese, iodine, iron , cobalt, chromium daily via individual pure bottles of each element. My complete params are
Salinity 1.025
Mg, 1325
Nitrate 15-18 in one day
Calcium 360
Phos jumped in assuming from my chaeto dying it was 0.2 then now 0.33 today. Two days ago it was 0.4 so I added a very small amount of lanthium chloride (3ml of tropic Marin rapid phos eliminator ) which brought it from 0.4 to 0.33 today.

I check my nutrient levels 2-3 times a week and none of these have bottomed out. My nitrates haven’t been less than 10 in months and my phosphates havent been less then 0.06 in months.

I did recently over 3 weeks treat with interceptor for white bugs which required me to change carbon after each dose to remove the meds. At no point did I starve the chaeto of nutrients. I thought maybe my chaeto light stopped working but I confirmed it’s working and turning on at the correct

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m so stumped but at this rate as chaeto is my main nutrient exporter ( I change water every 2 months or so to clean sand) I’m going to possible really hurt my tank. My nitrates just climbed 3 points in one day. They have stayed within 15-20 for 5 months. I’m really worried about harming my acros with high waste levels now. I have zero chaeto in sump now..

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Consider an algae turf scrubber to export nutrients using green hair algae.
I figured out my problem. From replacing ROX carbon 5 times in a month to remove a medication I was dosing, I stripped the chaeto of some needed micro element. Perhaps it was iron or iodine. It was not nitrate or phosphates I had those reading good numbers. Since adding some chaeto grow it fixed it and isn’t getting worse and slowly coming around.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I had chaeto growing the size of two basketballs in my sump. I have a large sump 40 gallons with a large bio load. I’ll list the changes I did since my chaeto died.

1) I had white bugs and dosed interceptor
2) added magnesium
3) I changed my carbon quite a bit this last month. 5 times I’m thinking I may have stripped some micro element too much maybe iron ? I’m sending an Icp ms on Monday.

I follow RMS and dose micro elements daily including pure iron.

IMG_1182.png IMG_1456.png
Dosing chemicals and lots of carbon sounds dramatic. Maybe slow up, nothing good happens quickly. New cheato might help. Good luck

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dosing chemicals and lots of carbon sounds dramatic. Maybe slow up, nothing good happens quickly. New cheato might help. Good luck
Thank you. I unfortunately had to dose heart worm medication for dogs called interceptor because white bugs were attacking my acropora. After each treatment ( I did 4 ) I had to run carbon to remove the med. I should have increased the trace elements during this time. Hoping this piece pulls through, chaeto was working great.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I unfortunately had to dose heart worm medication for dogs called interceptor because white bugs were attacking my acropora. After each treatment ( I did 4 ) I had to run carbon to remove the med. I should have increased the trace elements during this time. Hoping this piece pulls through, chaeto was working great.
Granulated activated carbon would sequester both iodine & iron. Glad you found the problem.

While I don’t grow SPS in my Caribbean mixed garden lagoon, I grow ornamental seaweed which deplete nutrients much faster than coral. Also considering that fast growing macros consume nitrogen 30 fold more than phosphate, I dose ammonia and concentrated liquid seaweed.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Granulated activated carbon would sequester both iodine & iron. Glad you found the problem.

While I don’t grow SPS in my Caribbean mixed garden lagoon, I grow ornamental seaweed which deplete nutrients much faster than coral. Also considering that fast growing macros consume nitrogen 30 fold more than phosphate, I dose ammonia and concentrated liquid seaweed.
Yea I really think it was both iodine and iron I stripped. Rox carbon is very powerful too. I won’t ever know because my ICp test I sent in was after adding chaeto grow. But after chaeto grow which has iodine and iron in it the algae is fine. I managed to save a golf ball size. Very neat do you also dose traces to your macro tank? Any pics seems neat.

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I really think it was both iodine and iron I stripped. Rox carbon is very powerful too. I won’t ever know because my ICp test I sent in was after adding chaeto grow. But after chaeto grow which has iodine and iron in it the algae is fine. I managed to save a golf ball size. Very neat do you also dose traces to your macro tank? Any pics seems neat.
Macroalgae tanks are quite popular but not as common as a reef. I dose trace elements in mine, I assume most macroalgae keepers do as well to get good growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back