Chaeto dying??

Shane B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,

I'm struggling to keep my chaeto going. Hoping you all can help me decide the best course of action. I currently have a Nuvo 20. Tank is 4'ish months old. 3 clowns, 1 shrimp, no corals.

After i discovered dinos in the tank, I cleaned out things really well including my TUNZE MAR 3181 reactor. I removed roughly 80% of my chaeto as it was dirty/slimy, etc. Now what i have left is brittle, breaking up, etc. It sort of stays together at the bottom of the reactor, but doesn't move much and occasionally sends small pieces of chaeto out into the reactor that have broken off. It has not grown by any appreciable amount in a very long time (ever?? hard to say for sure)

Tank parameters OK (to me). Phosphate at .1 ppm and Nitrate at 8 ppm (to help fight the dinos). I run the lights from 7:30 pm until 7 am. I'm dosing 2 ml Ferrion every other day based on other research I have read. To my beginner eyes, everything seems like it should allow for the macro to grow, but it stays brittle and ugly. What am I missing?

Should I solely focus on removing the dinos (making great progress so far) and forget the chaeto, or is it worth trying to save the chaeto along with fighting dinos? Or is fighting the dinos whats killing my chaeto? I am stumped.

Cheers.

OP
OP
S

Shane B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic for those curious

chaeto.jpg

frank10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the chaeto should recover, i'd keep at least some of it

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back