Chaeto failing

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having issues with my chaeto, and wanted to get everyone’s thoughts.
Background: I established a very healthy batch of chaeto in my new tank earlier this year. I’m using an AI Fuge light, running at 60% for 7 hours every night. That setup grew a baseball size ball of chaeto to completely filling my 18”x12”x12” fuge. It was crazy thick and lush.

Currently: I just noticed that is no longer the case. It’s much thinner, and smaller in volume. I also see green slimy hair algae showing up In the ball and around the chamber. The only two things I can think of that could possibly have effected it are:
1) I’ve had to add cold rodi water in the chamber before it a few times recently. The heater is in that chamber before the fuge chamber, but obviously the water will still be cold when I first add it and it enters the fuge chamber.
2) I’ve recently dipped several coral with one or more of the following dips (revive, coral rx, bayer, and iodine dip for a couple zoa) and added them to the tank. Maybe there was some on my hands when I put them in my tank? I did pull some out to create a temporary quarantine tank.

Would either of those things have caused my problem, or I’d there something else that i may not be thinking about.

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is .08 and nitrate is 8. I dose Red Sea iron and other trace elements when I add calcium.

my nitrate has recently slowly risen from around 4 to 8, which is why I inspected my fuge.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge is around 15x20x12 and nearly full of chaeto. I dose 2mL of Ferrion about every other day for a total of 6mL a week. If your chaeto is still alive, not withered and grey, try dosing more iron.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato has picked up and died on me before. For me it just starts falling apart. Other tanks it does fine.

I have no idea. It doesn't seem to like nitrate dives, which ironically is what happens when its working.

OP
OP
K

Klyph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So based on feedback, chaeto failing is likely the cause of it stripping all the iron out of the tank and not having anymore?

I just ordered an iron hannah checker. What is the preferred range for iron?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 60 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.1%
Back