Chaeto Farming Question

Dr. Bluethumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever tried growing chaeto or any other beneficial macro algae in a completely separate system then their main tank? I was wanting to do a 20g, light, air stone and chaeto then just dose and top of with an ATO. Chaeto is always great for bargaining and trades in my area so I want to try farming some, but I don't want to use any water from tanks just so i know no pests or unwanted critters get in there. Not to mention its a great snack for all my tangs.

What should i dose, potassium nitrate and some sort of phosphate to get consistent growth?

Thanks in advance !

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought to farm it, you could put it in with a couple captive bred clowns from ORA or Biota so you feel safe about pests and to add to the biology. Then just additives that both of you said. I use seachem flourish phosphate and nitrate and chaetogro to supplement but there are probably cheaper alternatives like buying in the salt form

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you neonrabbit, do you know dosage on these as I dont have an iron test, i usually use like half the dose of chaetogro as well as mine grows like crazy

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps. For the phosphate I believe I used neophos but I will have to check. Let me know if you have any questions from my chicken scratch

edit: i did use neophos by brightwell. I get some trisodium phosphate in a few days so I will redo my math if needed

Attachments

• RB 2021-01-23 20.54.36.pdf
    291.4 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Dr. Bluethumb

Dr. Bluethumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps. For the phosphate I believe I used neophos but I will have to check. Let me know if you have any questions from my chicken scratch

edit: i did use neophos by brightwell. I get some trisodium phosphate in a few days so I will redo my math if needed
This is super helpful, thank you a lot for this!

OP
OP
Dr. Bluethumb

Dr. Bluethumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thought to farm it, you could put it in with a couple captive bred clowns from ORA or Biota so you feel safe about pests and to add to the biology. Then just additives that both of you said. I use seachem flourish phosphate and nitrate and chaetogro to supplement but there are probably cheaper alternatives like buying in the salt form
Thats a really good idea with the clownfish just to get those nutrients added in naturally

OP
OP
Dr. Bluethumb

Dr. Bluethumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I mix all of these together in like an 8oz bottle or even a 2L bottle and set them on 1 doser to make life a little easier or would you do them separately. Obviously there would be some math involved and trial and error, but if possible I wouldn't mind taking the time just for convenience sake.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow me to explain. I use a 500 ml wash bottle. First I put 1 27 mg Fergon pill in 100 ml of water and let it dissolve. You want it to settle out and don't use the silt/junk that ends up sitting at the bottom. I then dissolved the sodium nitrate in some RODI. I add the 94 mL Neophos and 25 mL of the Fergon solution to the bottle along with the sodium nitrate mixture then I top off with RODI.

5mL of this is a "dose" for my 40B which I use about twice a week which increase it to the levels indicated. Hope this helps!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that doing them separately has the benefit of adjusting nutrient consumption for your tank. I think I have since adjusted the solution to have more phosphate as that was the limiting nutrient for me. Depends on your parameter levels. BRS sells an iron test kit refill that is fairly easy to use if you have any of their other test kits (i dont think it comes with a spoon for the powder)

OP
OP
Dr. Bluethumb

Dr. Bluethumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that doing them separately has the benefit of adjusting nutrient consumption for your tank. I think I have since adjusted the solution to have more phosphate as that was the limiting nutrient for me. Depends on your parameter levels. BRS sells an iron test kit refill that is fairly easy to use if you have any of their other test kits (i dont think it comes with a spoon for the powder)
Ok, that makes sense. Ill do the separate approach initially to get an idea of what nutrients are being absorb and at what rates. If im lucky ill see consistency and I can make one complete mix and if not just continue to dose accordingly. Thank you again for all your knowledge, I really appreciate your input

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back