Chaeto LED intensity

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small piece of chaeto in my sump under a grow light (see pic). The light is about 12” from the surface of the water. The chaeto is noticeably bleaching. I’m not sure if it’s just shocked by the new light and will regrow, or if the lighting is too strong (rated 150W) and it will die? My nitrates are at 15 ppm and I dosed chaeto grow and a small bit of potassiumphosphate to ensure the other nutrients are present, so I don’t think it’s a nutrient issue.

Any advice is appreciated!

7BB0B825-B843-429F-8FA6-CDA4B89BC16B.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive light. IP 67 waterproof and economical. Thank you for the link.

Yes, you probably sun scolded your chaeto. It should grow back with vigor. Cut back on hours. Put light as high as feasible for your system, that’s a lot of light for a little bit of chaeto. Ramp up gradual as chaeto grows than optimize nutrient export as required.

Last edited:

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact light and it’s actual draw is 50 watts. Super bright though! Since you can’t dim it, I had to slowly increase the hours. I think I started at 4 hours on and I’m at 6 now. After two weeks, it’s growing well, but I started it at 12 hours and nearly killed my chaeto.

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive light. IP 67 waterproof and economical. Thank you for the link.

Yes, you are probably sun scolded your chaeto. It should grow back with vigor. Cut back on hours. Put light as high as feasible for your system, that’s a lot of light for a little bit of chaeto. Ramp up gradual as chaeto grows than optimize nutrient export as required.
Haha you’re welcome, the quality seems good so far! Should I remove the dying pieces or just leave it so the nutrients recycle and it’ll regrow regardless?

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same exact light and it’s actual draw is 50 watts. Super bright though! Since you can’t dim it, I had to slowly increase the hours. I think I started at 4 hours on and I’m at 6 now. After two weeks, it’s growing well, but I started it at 12 hours and nearly killed my chaeto.
Ah ok. I’m currently running it 12 hours at night so that must be why. How high up is urs mounted? The highest I can do is 12-14”

Back