Chaeto Reactor - Can I grow Pods?

acshaw80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50G red sea Max E170. I do not have the in-cabinet sump upgrade and am using the rear built in sump.

It's a young tank that I've been running since July 2020. Its been relatively healthy with few problems other than 2 separate outbreaks of dinos. Currently I am battling the second, but I think I am on the verge of winning.

I was thinking of putting a chaeto reactor in the cabinet but had a few questions as I'm a newb and have never used one.

My main goals are to keep water parameters in check, outcompete dinos for nutrients, and to, hopefully, use this as a breeding ground for copepods.

My questions:

1) Can I use a chaeto reactor as a fuge for copepods (ie is it safe for them)?
2) What are some good reactors for a 50G tank?
3) Do the reactors come with everything I need to get it running or would I need to buy anything else (obviously pods and chaeto would need to be purchased...just wondering if I need any other equipment)?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all that I've read, as well as fixing to do, is grow copeopods in my reactor. I already have a ton of them growing in a cheese ball container w a air pump. Easy and my pair of mandarins will love it. They come wed.

RoloTheRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all that I've read, as well as fixing to do, is grow copeopods in my reactor. I already have a ton of them growing in a cheese ball container w a air pump. Easy and my pair of mandarins will love it. They come wed.
Hi, apologies for jumping on this thread but do you ha e any pictures of your setup as I'm looking for the same thing?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back