Chaeto reactor or Denitrator

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 135 gallon fish only and the more fish I add of course the more waste and even the skimmer I have being rated for tanks up to 250 gallons isn't enough to bring the nitrates I will have in the future to close to 5-10ppm. So does anyone have any advice or suggestions on either chaeto reactor or denitrator? Which one works better? I'm choosing not to do an algae scrubber just because I want this to be a little more clean and not space consuming. I had an algae and worked well but having a fish only and the chances of having a fish to eat any algae that grows in the main display won't be enough to consume nitrates. I will be adding more biological media since this tank is about a month and a half old. But what do you guys think?

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a chaeto reactor.. so I would recommend that.. check out my thread I just made for the chaeto reactor.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a chaeto reactor.. so I would recommend that.. check out my thread I just made for the chaeto reactor.

I saw it but aquamaxx has a kit where the leds are on the outside, comes with a pump and the reactor for $119.99 and I like the idea that it's clear so I can see the reactor. Not too fond of the white reactor. But let me know if you've seen a drastic reduction in nitrates.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of bio-denitrator with controlled carbon dosing. Currently using a DIY denitrator for my 75G with huge success. Maintaining 1-5ppm NO3 flawlessly and best of all, maintenance free (daily dosing of personally mixed carbon formula takes less than 10 seconds) since in operation last year (february).

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of bio-denitrator with controlled carbon dosing. Currently using a DIY denitrator for my 75G with huge success. Maintaining 1-5ppm NO3 flawlessly and best of all, maintenance free (daily dosing of personally mixed carbon formula takes less than 10 seconds) since in operation last year (february).

Any things you wanna give me advice on

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any things you wanna give me advice on

Not much actually, simply because it is more on personal preferences. I don't have space for refugium, I don't want to spend too much buying filtration products and I don't have enough time maintaining algae based filtration system (not lazy but with my denitrator virtually no maintenance is necessary). With enough bio-media for bacteria, carbon dosing will be the cheapest way controlling NO3/PO4, if you ask me. The only drawback with direct carbon dosing on water column is cyano and excessive bacteria coatings on most surfaces, if not done correctly. If you opt for denitrator, there are quite a number of proven system in the market, or you can even DIY if you are good at it. It is just a matter of ease of usage, initial cost of getting one, cost of running/maintaining one, maintenance regime and of course there will pros & cons for each design to consider.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80FAE46F-0B58-46BD-8A9D-98BE3B14FB33.jpg

This is what I'm debating on. It's a fish only but some day may be a reef tank. I just don't want to get something that can crash my tank you know?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selection wise, I will go for the cheato reactor due to fail safe option. Nothing will go wrong with cheator reactor (or any algae reactor/scrubber) except performance, as it all depends on what available in the water for algae to thrive. Lights play an important role as well. I have no in hand experience with bio pellets, but too much of is bad as excessive bacteria will strip dissolve oxygen, makes water cloudy and slime all over the place. Same goes to carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selection wise, I will go for the cheato reactor due to fail safe option. Nothing will go wrong with cheator reactor (or any algae reactor/scrubber) except performance, as it all depends on what available in the water for algae to thrive. Lights play an important role as well. I have no in hand experience with bio pellets, but too much of is bad as excessive bacteria will strip dissolve oxygen, makes water cloudy and slime all over the place. Same goes to carbon dosing.

Yeah I just am not too sure how much of an impact chaeto reactor will lower nitrates down to. It might bring them down from let's say 110ppm to 70ppm and it won't do anything better especially if my waste and food load will get larger as time goes on.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just am not too sure how much of an impact chaeto reactor will lower nitrates down to. It might bring them down from let's say 110ppm to 70ppm and it won't do anything better especially if my waste and food load will get larger as time goes on.

Frequent trimming will solve your problem provided that the reactor performs as intended (increased nutrients, more algae to consume). Don't worry sir, all nutrient export method will strip your tank clean if allowed to whilst some might not even budge your n03/po4 at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frequent trimming will solve your problem provided that the reactor performs as intended (increased nutrients, more algae to consume). Don't worry sir, all nutrient export method will strip your tank clean if allowed to whilst some might not even budge your n03/po4 at all.

So chaeto reactor should I try first and then either denitrator as a last resort?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So chaeto reactor should I try first and then either denitrator as a last resort?

Yes, due to the fail safe option mentioned before, other than that I think both will do the job if done properly. A lot of uncertainty when it comes to devices that removes nutrients out of reef tank. Understanding how they work is crucial, but how it performs in your tank and how you maintain these devices will dictate your success.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7261.JPG

Why not? My tank did well on it. Didn't use any macro algae or reactor. Easy peasy and simple. Had 26 fish in there and still no issue with algae or nutrients and could color up acros like a champ.

I don't want to depend on carbon dosing. I've heard stories like algae coming back if you don't dose on a schedule. Plus I don't want a chance to nuke my tank.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. I disagree with it being dangerous - well less dangerous then if an alk doser sticks on.
I would say c dosing is safer than denitratior, but algae reactors are pretty safe just add more electric and compilation compared to carbon dosing and don't drive nutrient down as well.

Really if you are managing nutrients with any method you can't stop doing it and keep inputs high no matter if you use carbon, reactors or macros.

I don't even dose carbon now for nutrient reductions, I do it to feed the inverts. Can support so many sponges and giant feather dusters it's fun!

But it's up to you! Lots of choices in the hobby! Good luck and happy reefing!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back