Chaeto Test Part II: Closing out the old and introducing the next evolution! | BRS Investigates

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I'm very late to the party on this one, but I just recently started a chaeto fuge. I had a caulerpa fuge before being lit by a little marineland led light, and it was doing ok, but the caulerpa kept dieing off, and I had read stuff about it nuking the tank. So I took it out, cleaned out the fuge chamber, and got some chaeto. The marineland light wasn't enough to grow it, so I bought the Kessil H80. Unfortunately the H80 wasn't strong enough either to grow chaeto because the display tank was out competing the fuge for nutrients so the chaeto would turn white and die off. As @Ryanbrs said in the video, you cannot expect a 13 watt light to out compete a 185 watt (Kessil AP700) So I sold the H80 and got the H380. Now my chaeto has taken off and the algae in the display tank is slowly dwindling down to nothing. I have to say i'm super happy with this light and its performance and thank Ryan and the BRS crew for all their information and hard work in these videos.

That's awesome to hear and matches our experience. Use the right intensity with the right spectrum peaks and algae grows in the fuge rather than the tank :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome to hear and matches our experience. Use the right intensity with the right spectrum peaks and algae grows in the fuge rather than the tank :)
My chaeto has doubled since I got the light, which was on the 22nd. Super happy! Thanks again!

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto has doubled since I got the light, which was on the 22nd. Super happy! Thanks again!

BTW I just realized what your avatar is lol.

My 18 mo son just decided Moana is his favorite movie. Melissa and I debated which song is best and I am a strong supporter of "I'm so shinny" : )

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 18 mo son just decided Moana is his favorite movie. Melissa and I debated which song is best and I am a strong supporter of "I'm so shinny" : )
I have two daughters, a 5 year old, and a 1 year old..I watch that movie about 3 to 5 times a day lol! I would have to agree with you, that's my favorite song to :D

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Ryanbrs gotta love Saturdays, this is our third time watching and it's only 10 am!;Yuck:D
m8rKIdDl.jpg

pompeyjohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS folks, thanks for doing this. I was wondering what the implications are here for us with smaller AIO tanks. We typically have low wattage attach to the back type lights. Whilst we don't have the wattage, we do tend to have the lights closer to the algae.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto needs a much larger size, like 4 to 8 times, of algae scrubbers to do the same filtering. So for the tiny back compartments, it is very tough to get chaeto in there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is not about the efficacy of Chaeto in relation to Algae Scrubbers. Please do not derail it.

Right. We wouldn't want to accidentally derail a chaeto thread with a discussion about the limitations of chaeto. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came hear to read about Chaeto and it's limitations. I figured that could be done without discussing other methods.

His last sentence addressed your question. He’s the only answer you got in almost a week.

Last edited:

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BRS folks, thanks for doing this. I was wondering what the implications are here for us with smaller AIO tanks. We typically have low wattage attach to the back type lights. Whilst we don't have the wattage, we do tend to have the lights closer to the algae.

To respond without “derailing” the thread you didn’t start: It won’t be very effective at controlling nutrients but may still be worth it for pods or as a minor part of a larger nutrient program.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back