Chaetomorpha now in display tank and sump

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that Chaeto macro algae somehow is not anchoring itself over rocks in my display area of the tank, which I do not want or like. These things are tough as nails and to plug them out it's a huge chore.

I don't know how they got there, but I guess spores from the sump <shrug>.

Anyhow, I don't suppose there's any way to fully remove the chaeto from the rocks/display area - does anyone know of an invert that would consume chaeto??? I DO NOT want to have to add another fish.

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that Chaeto macro algae somehow is not anchoring itself over rocks in my display area of the tank, which I do not want or like. These things are tough as nails and to plug them out it's a huge chore.

I don't know how they got there, but I guess spores from the sump <shrug>.

Anyhow, I don't suppose there's any way to fully remove the chaeto from the rocks/display area - does anyone know of an invert that would consume chaeto??? I DO NOT want to have to add another fish.

Thanks!
Pics to ensure it's chaeto?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really interesting - I've been growing Chaeto for 15 years. I grow up to a trashbag worth in about 10 days during the summer months (My refuge is outside in the sun).

But the chaeto has never ever appeared in the display tanks. I keep lots of tangs in my display tanks, and perhaps they are devouring the bits that make it to the reef. I know on occassion I will dump a handful into the display tank and the tangs eat it up and it's never shown back up.

Dave B

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really interesting - I've been growing Chaeto for 15 years. I grow up to a trashbag worth in about 10 days during the summer months (My refuge is outside in the sun).

But the chaeto has never ever appeared in the display tanks. I keep lots of tangs in my display tanks, and perhaps they are devouring the bits that make it to the reef. I know on occassion I will dump a handful into the display tank and the tangs eat it up and it's never shown back up.

Dave B
I have a feeling that your tangs are devouring the chaeto before they have the chance to anchor and grow. I rather not have had Chaeto if I knew this would happen. I started with new base rock, so it wouldn't have come from there unless it was on a frag plug and from there it grew and spreaded.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked a bunch out and tossed them. They are curly and with a rigid texture - looks and feels the same as the chaeto.
Was thinking bryopsis but maybe not.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like Ulva - aka Sea Lettuce - which @AlgaeBarn sells without warning people that it tends to go 'sexual' and start appearing all over your tank rock in the DT.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like Ulva - aka Sea Lettuce - which @AlgaeBarn sells without warning people that it tends to go 'sexual' and start appearing all over your tank rock in the DT.
Nah, it doesn't look like sea lettuce as the suspect macro algae is like tough string - as in chaeto.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly doubt it chateo… I’ve never heard nor experienced this in all my years.. I have a large sum in my sump with plenty of rock and it’s never took root.. be nice if it did lol..
I'll take some pictures and share here in my next round of plucking them out.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics to ensure it's chaeto?
Here is a picture of some pieced I took out today
20230708_082007_resized.jpg

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I can happen, and will happen. I have bunch growing in my overflows but none in display, tnx to 8 tangs I got.
Unless you have a better way to block particles flow in your sump it will continue to happen. Put a large sponge somewhere before the return pump Where only water can pass.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Chaeto, tangs gobble it up, serves as pod nests and Bristleworms host, I just pick out the worms that grow when I harvest. Bristleworms don’t freak me out, I harvest them if they seem abundant. We feed heavy, so they’re good cleanup

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had chaeto anchor itself to rocks in my display tank as well. It definitely surprised me how firmly they were attached to the rock!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back