Chaeto's Effect on Algae

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a bit of a nitrate problem (can't get it below 80ppm, despite multiple water changes), so I ordered an HOB refugium and will get some chaeto from the LFS. Questions I have are will it affect necessary algae growth that my algae blenny feeds on? Also, how much chaeto will I need? My tank is a 75 gallon FOWLR. It's been running well over 15 years and just recently traded in my predatory fishes to make it more of a peaceful community tank with smaller fishes.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it, especially if your blenny eats what your other fish eat. Algae is usually, and should be, limited by predation, not nitrate and phosphate.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, have you check nitrite? Sometimes if that spikes for whatever reason, nitrate can appear very high up.

OP
OP
V

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it, especially if your blenny eats what your other fish eat.
Thanks, been watching the blenny and noticed it only eats algae from the LR. Doesn't eat mysis, brine, nori rubber banded to the LR nor algae discs. So I'm kinda worried about it starving if there wasn't enough algae on the LR.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, been watching the blenny and noticed it only eats algae from the LR. Doesn't eat mysis, brine, nori rubber banded to the LR nor algae discs. So I'm kinda worried about it starving if there wasn't enough algae on the LR.

You could try other macroalgaes in the refugium and see if the blenny eats that. Have you tried flakes? My blennies have always like ocean nutrition prime reef flakes. If it doesn't eat them, I am sure the rest of your fish would.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back