Chalice challenge

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stumped...I just can’t figure out what is going on with my chalice and Favia. Both are receding from the outside edges in. I did have an issue 6 to 8 weeks ago when I had a bad nitrate test kit from nyos which showed low nitrates when it was actually very high. Many water changes later my nitrate is consistently < 20 and all other corals are doing well..including my few SPS, torch, alveopora. My mag level was a tad low a couple weeks ago as I hadn’t been supplementing that..but now it’s 1350 as I hand add it twice per week. Prior to the last six months or so, chalice and favia type corals have done very well in my tank so this is weird.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that they do not open up in response to feeding. Though I did read something the other day about using an upside down soda bottle to concentrate food over an individual. I have not tried that yet.
Just use a syringe, wastes less food since you’re only feeding 2 corals. The erosion on the chalice is very common unfortunately, they are very very sensitive to water imperfections :(

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is ? 3 yrs old...as I’ve said we drove it cross country from NY to CO in spring 1998. Right now we have 2 kessil a360x over the tank (but soon will be moving and will have a hybrid LED/ t5 fixture) and the tank is a 90 gallon cube. We have pretty good flow with a maxspect gyre and an octo powerhead which, believe it or not I cannot read the specs of because our parrot chewed the instruction manual!;Bucktooth I try to turn the octo off at night to replicate ocean calm. When we move I will definitely automate that.

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having same issue with all my chalice and it started with a favites. I was an acro/sps dude for decades and I’m use to weird stn/rtn with acros. Downsized to a 25 gallon cube to relax with chalice,acans and lps—- just “relax” while four chalice recede before my very eyes. Can’t figure out what caused it w mine either as they were gangbusters for year and a half- parameters all good and steady- blaming it on the non dipped favites which was first to go- maybe something bacterial brought in. Sorry- no help just commiserating. I’ve seen a few experienced chalice keepers say it just happens w chalice— argh to that I say

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having same issue with all my chalice and it started with a favites. I was an acro/sps dude for decades and I’m use to weird stn/rtn with acros. Downsized to a 25 gallon cube to relax with chalice,acans and lps—- just “relax” while four chalice recede before my very eyes. Can’t figure out what caused it w mine either as they were gangbusters for year and a half- parameters all good and steady- blaming it on the non dipped favites which was first to go- maybe something bacterial brought in. Sorry- no help just commiserating. I’ve seen a few experienced chalice keepers say it just happens w chalice— argh to that I say
Sorry just jumping back on here after a COVID break. My few remaining chalice and favites type corals continue their slow, awful decline from the outside edges in. Meanwhile my SPS and my other LPS continue to thrive! I have torch and alveopora growing strong. Fish are great..colony polyps and mushrooms are fine. What IS it about chalice and favities? I am just about to move my tank to its final resting place 1/4 mile down the road...which means a new tank (going up by 10 gallons) and a new lighting system (hybrid T5/ LED) so hoping to reset the whole dang thing. How did you make out?

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so good- lost all the chalice, favites and acans too. Let the tank sit for a couple months because I was so bummed and had other interests to distract me. Was/am considering getting out of the hobby for good but just removed some rocks and reaquascaped- which kind of feels like a fresh new start. So now I’m reconsidering—- money very tight atm cuz of cutbacks at work due to the pandemic but I’ve had a reef of sone sort for 25 years so hard to imagine life without one.
I’ll put a word in w the reef gods for yours to make a turn around

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have Chalice but as a last resort maybe frag part of the healthy part, do an iodine dip and put it somewhere away from the colonies and see if it does better.

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes what mcbdz said- I meant to suggest that. I wasn’t able to do that because all my chalice were very encrusted- well I mean I could’ve and should’ve just screwdrivered a nub out and tried that- not sure why I didn’t

OP
OP
Cherie cook

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance, you know the PAR over those corals and the flow?
Sorry, we have been in the middle of a move and I just saw this. I think the flow was pretty decent as the tank is an 80 cube and had flow from 3 directions. PAR is a different story...we were living in my daughters basement (so darkish) and the lighting was 2 kessil a360.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back