Chalice Losing Flesh

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Looking for some insight here. I had a crazy weekend with an injury and a big party for my youngest sons first birthday and when I checked out my tank after all the dust settled I noticed my chalice coral had flesh hanging off in certain spots and skeleton exposed. This chalice was not labeled from my LFS but I believe it is a Mummy Eye Chalice as it’s neon green with bright orange polyps. The only really changes lately we’re I added reef Brite XHOs to my AI Hydra 32s. Since upgrading the lighting I noticed a bit more striations on the coral itself and assumed it was due to the increased growth. I am now starting to think it is receiving too much light and that was the flesh thinning out. The picture is junk I know but basically I have a couple large circles with flesh hanging off, algae started to grow on some of the skeleton because it was so white and now a hermit is eating the algae. I have no reason to believe the hermits are attacking this coral so I do think it’s a by product of the algae there. Should I trying moving the chalice to lower light ?

Attached is a pretty recent picture of the coral when it was healthier and one from yesterday.

C145A7C2-D893-45A7-90A1-36B15BD0DA96.jpeg E77A386B-8CB6-4D83-9479-774D9C2825EF.jpeg

Last edited:

jourspacedan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check the temp swings throughout the day. I've had experience of my chalice's flesh melting away due to large temp swings.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the system?
Describe water chemistry.
How long has the coral been in the tank?
Did the recede happen in hours, days, weeks?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back