chalice question.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do chalice corals ever attach to the rock work. I have a 2inpcs of cornbread m.e on a plug starting to overhang the rock it's on, will it break off the plug when it grows larger?. Or will the 1/2in of super glue hold a large chalice, that's over hanging the rock work.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does encrust to the rock some times. Also i assure you it should be fine hanging off.

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the coral sticks to what it touches, if it grew over the plug, it'l be hard for you to remove it without harming the coral itself. would you frag and sell an eye???

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jledon4, I am going to frag a piece, it won't be until spring, it'll be about 1 1/2x3/4. But I'm thinking on doing a trade for a true watermelon chalice. Sorry!!

OP
OP
miyags

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!! Just wondered because I have a no name chalice about 12in'sx9in's that's been in my 55gal. tank for three years. I had to move it from my 55 to my 65gal cube, because I couldn't clean the glass without hitting it. And it wasn't attached??

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fast growing and fast attaching IMO when given strong water flow. Gotta feed or have fishes in lieu to provide a nitrogen source for growth...but lighting is not a big deal, relatively speaking Water flow is key.

My last batch of chalice was just a handful of gorgeous frags from a hobby author last fall. They now literally fill a 90 gall in whorling cups that have to be chipped weekly just so I can scrape algae on the front glass. Two stream pumps...3 4ft T5s
LOL

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fast growing and fast attaching IMO when given strong water flow. Gotta feed or have fishes in lieu to provide a nitrogen source for growth...but lighting is not a big deal, relatively speaking Water flow is key.

My last batch of chalice was just a handful of gorgeous frags from a hobby author last fall. They now literally fill a 90 gall in whorling cups that have to be chipped weekly just so I can scrape algae on the front glass. Two stream pumps...3 4ft T5s
LOL

Anthony, I'd love to see pics of this!!! Do you find that the flesh grows faster than the skeleton? Does this cause issues at all? I've recently been reading, and trying to understand, that Magnesium seems to be very important to these types of corals, as well as Acans, for the growing of flesh. Can you comment on that?

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical frag setup here. Fine sand (for dissolution of minerals at night with pH drop) supported by Calcium reactor (have used Knop and ARM media FWIW). Weekly water changes... nothing fancy.

The skeleton grows fast...because of the water flow. Thats the point. Corals that endure higher water flow put more energy into skeletal growth. Form follows function, as the adage goes.

I stopped posting pics of my systems after the second time hobbyists robbed me while I was away (yeah...robbed corals, not house valuables) It just takes a few bad apples... :(

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucks Anthony!!!!! Man what a dang shame!!! I guess there must be a few bad apples... I always thought the reefers were a amazing bunch of people I my self am bron and raised in las Vegas were everyone is out to get everyone!!!! The reefing under ground has shed a whole new life for me how people are willing to help each
Other!!!! For the most part I think this hobby has some of the greatest people in the world...;)

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical frag setup here. Fine sand (for dissolution of minerals at night with pH drop) supported by Calcium reactor (have used Knop and ARM media FWIW). Weekly water changes... nothing fancy.

The skeleton grows fast...because of the water flow. Thats the point. Corals that endure higher water flow put more energy into skeletal growth. Form follows function, as the adage goes.

I stopped posting pics of my systems after the second time hobbyists robbed me while I was away (yeah...robbed corals, not house valuables) It just takes a few bad apples... :(

I never heard of this before. I really feel bad for you. :(

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony, thank you for answering the question, regarding skeletal growth!! I totally understand why you don't post photos, given the circumstances! I can't believe that would happen. Well, unfortunately, yes I can believe it. What a shame!

So, the idea of keeping Echinos in a lower flow environment, seems to be mistaken. I've always kept them in a lower light, low to moderate flow area. I may have to rethink this!!

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the understanding, my friends. Most reefers really are great folks. Just a few bad apples in any group.

The irony is that I was warned by older and more experienced authors/mentors not to be so friendly with my email, pics, etc. But I didnt want to ruin my experience sharing and thought it was unlikely to burn me. Even after the first time, I still didnt change...didnt want to let the dregs win. Well...after the second time, family, home, other considerations made me button up.

Once in a while you'll see some jealous or dour ninny online talk smack about Julian or Eric or me as so-called experts that have no proof (no tanks pics). Well...there's a back story to it. You rarely see any of our systems, which is a shame for us at least that we can't share.

Oi!!!!!!! Sorry...way off track on this thread!!! My apologies!

Lets get back to growing scleractinia please! :) (and thank you again for understanding)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back