Chalice receding, or peeling

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv been dealing with some algae outbreaks of doom tank is still young 9moths old, this chalice has been in the tank in the same spot for almost 2months just noticed the peeling today as I was removing some of the algae. This is my first chalice and I don’t know if the huge spick of N03 and PO4 from the dying algae is what hurt it if there’s something els I don’t know about to care for them

Alk 8.7
Cal 420
Mag 1380
Salinity 1.025
NO3 18.5 (trying to bring down now)
PO4 0.104 ULPhos tester (34)

IMG_4307.jpeg IMG_4308.png

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think your nitrate and phosphate are out of acceptable levels. Many beautiful tanks on here running those much higher. I average about the same as you for what is coming up on 23 months. I can’t see what you are speaking of so since it is inevitable I’ll ask that you post a picture under white lights. It appears to be a beautiful little chalice.

OP
OP
SneaksMcdoogle

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took some in the whites here…

Attachments

• IMG_4319.png
    IMG_4319.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4318.jpeg
    IMG_4318.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4317.jpeg
    IMG_4317.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4316.jpeg
    IMG_4316.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Iv been dealing with some algae outbreaks of doom tank is still young 9moths old, this chalice has been in the tank in the same spot for almost 2months just noticed the peeling today as I was removing some of the algae. This is my first chalice and I don’t know if the huge spick of N03 and PO4 from the dying algae is what hurt it if there’s something els I don’t know about to care for them

Alk 8.7
Cal 420
Mag 1380
Salinity 1.025
NO3 18.5 (trying to bring down now)
PO4 0.104 ULPhos tester (34)

IMG_4307.jpeg IMG_4308.png
Looks like recession and things to check are:
Alk - if elevated
Low Calcium
Change in flow
Insufficient lighting
Drop in salinity
Nearby coral that could be sending stingers

OP
OP
SneaksMcdoogle

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like recession and things to check are:
Alk - if elevated
Low Calcium
Change in flow
Insufficient lighting
Drop in salinity
Nearby coral that could be sending stingers
Yea seems like all parameters look good I listed them above, my salinity did drop to a smugg to 1.024 MAYBE I don’t use a digital tester. I just use the refractometer, but I do calibrate it once a month. I don’t have any corals within 6 inches of it so definitely no stinging. I wouldn’t imagine that it was insufficient lighting, but I can try moving it up closer to the light on the rocks it’s hanging out right around 115 par

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yea seems like all parameters look good I listed them above, my salinity did drop to a smugg to 1.024 MAYBE I don’t use a digital tester. I just use the refractometer, but I do calibrate it once a month. I don’t have any corals within 6 inches of it so definitely no stinging. I wouldn’t imagine that it was insufficient lighting, but I can try moving it up closer to the light on the rocks it’s hanging out right around 115 par
Mine are at 210 PAR but no need to quickly raise PAR but do so gradually if needed

400g52.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was happy where it was and growing I wouldn't be tempted to move it. maybe try removing algae surrounding it, or if possible remove frag and give it a dip (I'm unsure of specific dip type for this coral)
Then replace or move elsewhere, I would definitely recommend removing algae as a next course of action as algae eats all good nutrients

OP
OP
SneaksMcdoogle

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was happy where it was and growing I wouldn't be tempted to move it. maybe try removing algae surrounding it, or if possible remove frag and give it a dip (I'm unsure of specific dip type for this coral)
Then replace or move elsewhere, I would definitely recommend removing algae as a next course of action as algae eats all good nutrients
Yes the young tank started with dry everything it’s been a battle keeping the algae away. I’m finally coming around the bend on the algae it was much worse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back