Chalk Bass + Lemonpeel Angelfish stocking

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 gallon breeder with a proper sump, refugium, ect so it’s not 40 gallon water volume, more like 50-55

It’s cycling currently but I have absolutely fallen in love with chalk bass since I am a freshwater fisherman, and I like the dwarf/pygmy angelfish, anyone know how these 2 would do together?

Right now I’m wanting to stock:
-lemonpeel angelfish (or other type)
-chalk bass
-clownfish pair (occeleris possibly maroon)
-cleanup crew like a golden head goby and maybe a few shrimp (I’ve heard the chalk bass will eat them, true or false?, what if it was a big shrimp?)

Also what are some pretty Pygmy/dwarf angelfish that would do well in this setup, could I keep 2?

Is this overstocking? lol sorry for the insane amount of questions

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk bass are jumpers. Make sure you have a cover.
Cherub angelfish.
Clowns will be fine with either.
Yeah I’m going to have netting over it, and I’ve heard lemon peels can be kept in a tank this size, is that not true?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chalk Bass jumped out of the tiniest opening in my glass top, so whatever top you go with, you need 100% coverage.

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chalk Bass jumped out of the tiniest opening in my glass top, so whatever top you go with, you need 100% coverage.
Yeah the netting is going over the whole thing, since my sump uses a overflow hole I drilled there’s going to be literally 0 spots it could possibly jump out of

Also I’m kind of thinking, is it possible to fit 2 angelfish in? Possibly a multicolored one and a coral beauty, I’ve heard if they are both males they fight, otherwise it’s fine

So possibly my stocking would be like:
-Chalk bass (multiple?)
-1-2 Pygmy angelfish (maybe dwarf)
-clownfish pair (would maroon be too aggressive?)
-cleanup crew like a golden head goby

Overstocked?

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang police would probably yell at me but… tomini tang? It’s a 3ft tank with a sump, obviously if I went with a tomini tang I’d downsize the rest of what other fish I would get

OP
OP
C

Cheems

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually ive changed my mind, although I already have the 40 gallon drilled and full of water and running, I dont want to make the wrong decision and regret it later on. Since I havent added sand/rock, im going to upgrade and just go for a 75 gallon so I can be truly happy with the tank I set up rather than just a compromise. My stand is already made for a 75 gallon 4ft long tank anyways and everything ive heard says thats enough for a yellow/tomini (I think I like the tomini tang more)

so im probably going to be going with a 75 gallon instead, I might repost a dif thread about stocking that tank since this is a whole new thing, but so far im thinking
-1-3 chalk bass
-tomini tang
-multicolored/flame angelfish, (1 of each?)
-clownfish pair
-possibility of sanddwellers, ect

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back