Chalk Bass minimum tank size

  • Thread starter Thread starter zdrc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

zdrc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2022
Messages
223
Reaction score
188
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the minimum tank size for a chalk bass? I've been reading online that~ 30 gallons is the minimum but as far as I can tell, they grow to the same size as Royal Gramma which is regularly suggested for 10-15 gallons.

Would a Chalk Bass be appropriate in a 12 gallon with a yellow coral goby and a tailspot blenny?
 
What is the minimum tank size for a chalk bass? I've been reading online that~ 30 gallons is the minimum but as far as I can tell, they grow to the same size as Royal Gramma which is regularly suggested for 10-15 gallons.

Would a Chalk Bass be appropriate in a 12 gallon with a yellow coral goby and a tailspot blenny?
I would say no.
 
yes. although the size of a fish isn't a perfect determinant for its tank size
Yeah, I was under the impression that Royal Gramma and Chalk Bass were pretty similar in their behavior too (apart from the fact that royal gramma can't be housed in groups).

I wouldn't put anything in 12g. My chalk bass tends to use about 2 foot x 2 foot (~50g).
I'd like a bigger tank too, but apartment living and regular moving makes that hard. I may upgrade to ~35 gal AIO sometime in the next year (I like the look of the waterbox 35.2 AIO). Would you think that would be sufficient for a chalk bass? Have you kept them in a group? They're supposed to be a pretty amicable fish.
 
Chalk bass get surprisingly big. I have seen many that were 2+”. Georgia aquarium has a few displays with gorgeous looking chalk bass. They are calm fish and prefer to be in groups.
 
Chalk bass get surprisingly big. I have seen many that were 2+”. Georgia aquarium has a few displays with gorgeous looking chalk bass. They are calm fish and prefer to be in groups.
According to FishBase, the maximum length of Chalk Bass is 8 cm, identical to the maximum measured length of Royal Gramma. This is about 3" so definitely 2+" is possible. I wonder if people are a bit misled about the minimum tank size for Royal Gramma.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new