Change live rock for aesthetics...ditch bubble algae too?

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to change my live rock primarily because I want something that will look better. I have acquired some bubble algae on my current rock. There isn’t a lot but definitely enough that it’s noticeable. Is it possible to change to new dry rock and not bring the bubble algae with it? The new rock is dead and clean rock. I was going to cycle the new rock with old tank water from a wc after having sent the water through a filter sock. Eventually I’ll get the new rock in the sump and eventually remove the old rock. Would this work or am I wasting my time?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting a new rockscape is a very common issue here. I just did one in my 90g DT.

Why not cycle your new rock and get it started before you tear things down, Then you can pull the old rock and cure it again to get rid of the bubble algae.

OP
OP
C

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting a new rockscape is a very common issue here. I just did one in my 90g DT.

Why not cycle your new rock and get it started before you tear things down, Then you can pull the old rock and cure it again to get rid of the bubble algae.

That’s basically what I was planning to do. I plan on seeding the new rock with some of the current rock. Once it’s cured/cycled I plan on putting the new rock in sump and slowly removing the old rock. Maybe I’ll just get some emerald crabs. I just haven’t had great success with them before.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s basically what I was planning to do. I plan on seeding the new rock with some of the current rock. Once it’s cured/cycled I plan on putting the new rock in sump and slowly removing the old rock. Maybe I’ll just get some emerald crabs. I just haven’t had great success with them before.
Emerald crabs are hit and miss. May address bubbles or may address corals of interest. If no coral- Good gamble
Adding liquid vibrant and reducing white light intensity will rid of bubbles before you add dry rock for seeding.

Back