Changes to the Hobby??

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Covid first hit in 2020, I left the hobby for many different reasons. Now, mid 2022, I'm ready to dive back in and get my fins wet.

I've been out and about and studying up again and have already learned of a couple changes since leaving the hobby. One of my favorite corals, Acans, have been reclassified and are now Micromussas?? And at the store the other day, I saw Reefroids now come in bag and though it looks cheaper is all kinds of expensive for that little bag??

As I make my way back in the hobby, I wanted to reach out and ask if you can share any other changes that I should be aware of, whether significant, or small? Any help catching me up is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

A few more changes I've found:

Apparently Yellow Tangs are super rare now and cost like $600 when they used to be common and cheap!!

Cobalt NeoTherm heaters used to be the best and most reliable/stable water heater...I went to buy one for my new build and lfs explained they went under and they no longer carry them! :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueDamselReef

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've returned to the hobby after about 20 years, and the biggest difference I've found is that people now talk in acronyms and abreviations. Sometimes takes me ages to work out what they're talking about.
Ooohh maybe you can start an Acronyms & Abreviations thread!

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of corals have been moved around. There are now 2 genera of candy canes: astraeosmilia and caulastrea, favia is an Atlantic only species, with most of the indo-pacific species being moved to dipsastraea, hammers and frogspawns have been moved to the genus fimbriaphyllia, a lobophyllia species has been moved to acanthastrea, and symphyllia is now lobophyllia, just to name a few.

OP
OP
BlueDamselReef

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of corals have been moved around. There are now 2 genera of candy canes: astraeosmilia and caulastrea, favia is an Atlantic only species, with most of the indo-pacific species being moved to dipsastraea, hammers and frogspawns have been moved to the genus fimbriaphyllia, a lobophyllia species has been moved to acanthastrea, and symphyllia is now lobophyllia, just to name a few.
Wow! A great reminder to always research each coral before putting into tank based on most recent research and info. Thanks for sharing!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest change is your wallet. As in soon to be parted from... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Actually, marine supplies are the one thing that really haven't gone up in price here. I bought a standard, 240g bag of house-brand BBQ chips yesterday, and was stunned to see that the price has increased to five bucks at the Co-op. Five bucks for a bag of chips! That's close to a 100% markup in the past two years.

OP
OP
BlueDamselReef

BlueDamselReef

Just keep swimming!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, marine supplies are the one thing that really haven't gone up in price here. I bought a standard, 240g bag of house-brand BBQ chips yesterday, and was stunned to see that the price has increased to five bucks at the Co-op. Five bucks for a bag of chips! That's close to a 100% markup in the past two years.

The universal answer for whatever problem you have has changed from "your nitrates and phosphates are too high" to "your microbiome isn't diverse enough" :)
Is "microbiome" just a fancy way of saying nitrates and phosphates?? :thinking-face:

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Covid first hit in 2020, I left the hobby for many different reasons. Now, mid 2022, I'm ready to dive back in and get my fins wet.

I've been out and about and studying up again and have already learned of a couple changes since leaving the hobby. One of my favorite corals, Acans, have been reclassified and are now Micromussas?? And at the store the other day, I saw Reefroids now come in bag and though it looks cheaper is all kinds of expensive for that little bag??

As I make my way back in the hobby, I wanted to reach out and ask if you can share any other changes that I should be aware of, whether significant, or small? Any help catching me up is greatly appreciated!
Consolidation/monopolization of most of the bigger reefing companies, and doubling of the price of the so-called "bulk" products they sell.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t think reef roids came in anything other than the round containers .
I bought a massive bag ( 150g ) but with not many corals left. .
I haven’t used any

have you priced a yellow tang ?
Or remember the price from pre Covid ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 19

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a loaf of bread …
Milk ,

I’ve been waiting for butter to come on sale . I refuse to pay $7 when it will come on sale for $2.99

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back