Changing Aquascape

NorCalReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m new here so trying this all out.

First off, I have a Reefer 750 (est 2019) that’s been somewhat neglected. Not going to bore people with why but it involved having lots of infants in the house due to Covid). Now kids are in all day care and I have no money!

Anyway, I was an impatient noob when setting this all up and ended up using the “balance the rocks and hold it together with underwater epoxy” method. And as a result, I really hated the overall look.

So here’s my plan (please feel free to call out any mistakes here):

First off, had a lot of used rock that dried out long ago. It’s currently being bleached in a bin in my backyard with RO water. Once it’s sat for 7 days, I’m going to hose it down and let it dry out completely. Then into a bucket with fresh RO, some flow and dechlorinator. I’ll leave it for a month with a few water changes.

I’ll then build out a rock structure using the BRS method by smashing up larger pieces and gluing them together to create a more interesting aquascape. Since my end goal is to keep both SPS and zoas, the goal will be to create natural looking shelves that keep the zoas and acans on the lower half of the tank.

Now obviously I’m concerned about replacing rock in an established aquarium with newly cured rock. I was also thinking of replacing the sand under each rock while I was at it.

If I only replace a third of the tank at a time ( and go slow ) will this allow the new rock to be properly seeded by the old? Does anyone know how long that could take?

Additionally, will this potentially trigger nuisance algae?

Appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Storing in RO water doesn’t cure saltwater rock. Also no need for a dechlorinator with RO water. Your RO system should remove chlorine, it also evaporates naturally within about 24 hrs. Switching rock should be done in phases and is likely to cause algae.
If you want to cure the rock first, it should be done in saltwater and seeded with some live rock to begin building bacteria.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going to do this! I would start by soaking the rock you will scaping/adding in salt water removed from DT on a water change for about 3 days, just enough to soften the rock. (no speacial reason, just no need to waste new salt making water for this. I'd also probably add a piece of rock from my tank, or some substrate so I get the Bacteria in there as well.

Then I would start smashing and glueing making my scape, but I'd save that water and when I am done with the pieces every day back into the water.

If you are going to replace the majority or all of the rock, and you are thinking about new substrate as well, you might want to search these for forums for the RIP CLEAN method. I'd remove all fish/coral/inverts myself, and pull it all out, rinse the tank and start with new rock/sand if you're going that far with it.

Do it all at once, go thru the ugly phase again. If you have an established clean up crew, the ugly phase won't be as bad. If you have a lot of Algae consumers in the sand-bed though, you will have to supplement their diet. In the end I think you will be happier with the result and it will take less time and be less frustration.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back