Changing dKH

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dKH at about 7.9 - just done an ICP to confirm my Hanna Reading.

I'm aiming for dKH in the range 7.5 to 8.5. The Red Sea Recipes have either 12 dKH or 8KH and for a long time I've switched to a salt that is doesn't have an elevated dKH.

I have just started to become aware of pH. I originally tested when setting up but then never tested it again assuming it didn't matter (or wasn't easily changed).

The value of pH in a quarantine tank is 8.3 but in my DT it is closer to 8.0. I probably need to remeasure it when lights are about to come on and as they go off that corresponds to start of activity and end of an evening in my Sitting Room where DT is located e.g., CO2 affecting the pH.

What is the value in changing the dKH e.g. elevating it to 9, in controlling/buffering properties vs pH?

Simon

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of pH, the difference between 8 dKH and 9 dKH is 0.05 pH units, not counting any effects that may arise (up or down) from supplementing to maintain those levels.

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy.

0.05 pH is a very small amount! I suppose dKH 8 to 9 is a linear increase but pH is 10x (logarithmic) to change by 1 pH.

If it is only 0.05 pH, why would you want to aim for a higher dKH e.g. dKH of 12 is hard to maintain, mixing water is potentially less stable when stored and precipitation on equipment more likely? What benefits would dKH 9 deliver?

I will stick with the range 7.5 to 8.5.

Simon

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People most often use higher alk to drive faster hard coral growth directly, not because of the pH effect it has.

That said, going from 7 to 11 dKH is a more significant 0.2 pH units effect at equivalent CO2.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back