Changing rocks

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s been discussed but I can seem to find any threads. So I cycled my tanks with the Stax rocks don’t really like the look in this small tank so I bought 6 pounds of the CaribSea life rock. I don’t think it will cause another mini cycle but that is what I’m asking. I don’t have any livestock in the tank so if it does it doesn’t really matter. Right now parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
pH 8.2
Alk 9.3
Ca 330
Mg 1470
I have fritz on the way (yes I have read the good and the bad) but I want to give it a try and if it doesn’t work then I will eat crow. Want to try and put some soft coral in the tank in about two weeks or so. Tank has been going for 5 weeks already. Lights have been off so I don’t even have algae or anything in the tank. Starting to get that itchy feeling get it going hahahaha. Trying to be a patient as possible here.
I would have started with real live rock but buying 5-6 pounds and not being able to pick out the pieces was horrifying to me. My local LFS doesn’t carry cured live rock and they won’t sell out of their three huge tanks that they do have. On top of that not a lot of reefers in my local area to try and buy some from either.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I went back and read the description on CaribSea which states its seeded with their bacteria like the live sand. I don't think it will be much if any at all wish I could have go real live rock like we used to but 100 bucks for 5 pounds was a little steep and my wife probably would have shot me on the spot. Will get some of the other beneficial bacteria when I add frags to the tank I am sure. Still have a little Bio-Spira might add a little once I get it all in just to be on the safe side.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back