Changing tank size

Metro44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 16G Biocube but I'm looking to upgrade to the 32G biocube but I'm wondering if I should transfer my water from the 16 straight to the 32 and then buy a couple of the 5 gallon premade saltwater and add that to it to complete it or can that kill my fish? whats the best way to do this?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely use the 16 gallons of old water. It will have nitrates and phosphates in it which your tank needs. Adding 32 gallons of new saltwater would be too clean. The aged saltwater will not hurt your fish at all assuming the parameters are good.

OP
OP
M

Metro44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely use the 16 gallons of old water. It will have nitrates and phosphates in it which your tank needs. Adding 32 gallons of new saltwater would be too clean. The aged saltwater will not hurt your fish at all assuming the parameters are good.
sorry for the late reply but would i have to put the old water in first or the new water then the old?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I changed tank, I kept everything. I just added the new water at the end. You can also add bottle bacteria in it if it make you feel better. I felt it would be less of a shock for the fish if they were familiar to the smell, the feel or the chemistry of the water. I can't tell the difference, but they probably can.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back