Changing tanks

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m changing one of my tanks. Downgrading from a 30 biocube to a 20 gallon tank. I used the same rock but different sand... I moved my coral to a different tank of mine temporarily because I read somewhere that with new live sand the tank will go through another mini cycle. Is this true? Anything else to look out for? Was moving the coral a good move?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving the corals is a safe bet. When I upgraded and moved tanks I did the same thing saved everything but the sand, I tested every other day and honestly I never saw a mini cycle with water tests. I did however see a short ugly stage of diatoms, and minor gha but it all went away on its own in about a week. I’m a firm believer in if you have a stable system to move to temporarily do it.

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving the corals is a safe bet. When I upgraded and moved tanks I did the same thing saved everything but the sand, I tested every other day and honestly I never saw a mini cycle with water tests. I did however see a short ugly stage of diatoms, and minor gha but it all went away on its own in about a week. I’m a firm believer in if you have a stable system to move to temporarily do it.
It’s very stable, more stable than the other one. I’ll give it a few days and just make sure no amonia spikes happen and then move back. Thanks for your help!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget to make sure all your parameters match up as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back