Changing water source

jasonjmcgee

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone hope everyones tanks are great! I wanted to get some more insight or feedback about changing water sources for my reef tank. I had changed my tank from tap water to RODI water from my LFS but it had negative effects on all of my coral. So i went back to tapwater and they came back to life after a month. My tap water at my home is 30ppm nitrates and i have to get it lower as my tank is sitting at 70ppm now. Any ideas on what i can do or what i did wrong?

Thanks
 
I would invest in a good RO/DI unit and do small weekly water changes to get the parameters in line.
 
What I do atleast for better water quailty is use my drinking water filter to filter the water. Remove some things not all.
 
So I got a rodi a week ago and today I have just tested it and compared water quailty. RODI won of course. Hopefully it will be my best source of cleaning water. Also I live in an aparment so we get unlimited water.
 
I wasn't sure if my corals didn't like the water that I was getting from the LFS or didn't like the RODI water. Does anyone ave a good source to purchase one? I hate to spend $200 to see my coral closed up again.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new