Chasing Apex #'s that dont match conventional tools

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is a real pain! my refractometers when calibrated with 35/1.026 solution says I'm spot on or a touch low at 34.5-35 but, Apex calibrates to 34.6 or so and says my salt is 36.7 THEN!
Hanna checker says near 535 twice but Apex regularly tests at 715. I'm most confused about the Calcium variance near 200 points.

IMG_6205.jpg IMG_6207.PNG IMG_6214.jpg IMG_6208.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate the Trident using my test results (usually hanna) and water samples from the tank. Makes a world of difference.

Have you enabled temperature correction (TC) for your salinity probe and recalibrated? (also float the salinity packet in the sump near the probe for 15min prior)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate the Trident using my test results (usually hanna) and water samples from the tank. Makes a world of difference.

Have you enabled temperature correction (TC) for your salinity probe and recalibrated? (also float the salinity packet in the sump near the probe for 15min prior)
no I didnt do the temp correction (TC) and yes I floated the 53000 solution ( I did one with the solution to cool and results went bonkers) I will attempt to find the (TC)

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do I enable the (TC)?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not trust the hanna calcium number.

The test uses so little sample water, a drop in either direction can give wildly different results.

I would double check that hanna number with something more conventional like a salifert or red sea titration test.

I'm not saying the trident is right either, but I would not trust the hanna for a calcium number.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not trust the hanna calcium number.

The test uses so little sample water, a drop in either direction can give wildly different results.

I would double check that hanna number with something more conventional like a salifert or red sea titration test.

I'm not saying the trident is right either, but I would not trust the hanna for a calcium number.
I usually run a second test with Red Sea (etc.) to validate the Hanna test.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ca readings on my trident have been off for the several years I have used it. They start normal after calibration and slowly rise. I don't even pay attention to them anymore.....ALK and Mg are always spot on.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ca readings on my trident have been off for the several years I have used it. They start normal after calibration and slowly rise. I don't even pay attention to them anymore.....ALK and Mg are always spot on.
I agree, im thinking I can use trident to see if they are stable, rising or dropping but the # they indicate is probably wrong, thanks for you input

OP
OP
J

Jeff Crawford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the advanced tab. I use a value of 2.1 You need to recalibrate after.
Oh boy, Im scared of the advanced coding since I had such trouble just plugging in the apex and the energy bar then decoding it all, but....I will get to the advanced level sometime soon. thanks for your help

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, Im scared of the advanced coding since I had such trouble just plugging in the apex and the energy bar then decoding it all, but....I will get to the advanced level sometime soon. thanks for your help
It's not that hard and just involves clicking one button (TC) and entering a value (2.1).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back