Chasing Numbers? What Parameters?

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

common question asked. What is chasing numbers ? We all know the answer to this.

now I want to ask. Who here chases numbers and why ? What parameters ?

who keeps their nutrients (Phosphate and Nitrates) at a certain range and who lets them stay consistent at higher levels ?

I’ve read a couple articles by @Randy Holmes-Farley, which are amazing reads. I would like to get a simplified answer to this:

we know alk is the least abundant element in the sea, thus the most important element to look after when keeping calcifying organisms, what relationship does all have with Cal and Mag in simple terms, and how does that impact testing frequency on Cal and Mag.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll let someone with a better chemistry background explain the relationship with calcium and magnesium but the reason it's important isn't due simply to abundance, it's vitally important to calcifying organisms because they need it to build calcium carbonate and it also works to buffer the pH of the water to prevent fluctuations.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i wouldn't call maintaining calcium, mag, and alk at stable, consistent levels "chasing numbers" although some people do try to go for crazy high alk i think because they believe it increases growth

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep parameters within a range I know that's safe. History tells me when I need a course correction. It's only by consistently testing that I know what actions I need to take and how soon I need to do it.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i wouldn't call maintaining calcium, mag, and alk at stable, consistent levels "chasing numbers" although some people do try to go for crazy high alk i think because they believe it increases growth
I agree and I apologize if that’s how the questions resonated. I agree keeping those levels in a consistent range is essential.

i was asking more towards the nutrient side of things when I asked that question

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep parameters within a range I know that's safe. History tells me when I need a course correction. It's only by consistently testing that I know what actions I need to take and how soon I need to do it.
Consistenc, especially in testing is vital I believe, especially for a you get reef

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chase nitrates and phosphates as I’ve had to fight dinos for many months and I don’t want them to reappear.

I also chase alkalinity as it tends to decrease constantly in my tank.
IME, chasing nutrients was a frustrating journey, and I was only able to get my levels at about .1 ppm phosphates while my nitrates were dangerously low.

i realized feeding and exporting waste via mech filtration was amazing at reducing my Phos to .5, however I was feeding very stingy.

i wonder who runs their nutrients at higher levels without any adverse effects

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, chasing nutrients was a frustrating journey, and I was only able to get my levels at about .1 ppm phosphates while my nitrates were dangerously low.

i realized feeding and exporting waste via mech filtration was amazing at reducing my Phos to .5, however I was feeding very stingy.

I keep my nitrates between 8 and 12 ppm. Phosphates around 0,03 ppm.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think there are a lot of variables such as coral species, fluctuations of your nutrient levels, and also where you keep parameters such as alk at that dictate where your nutrient levels should "optimally" be

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my nitrates no higher than 25 ppm with a minimum of 10 ppm. Phosphate no higher than 0.12 ppm and a minimum of 0.05 ppm. The wider range gives me the most flexibility and I don't have to worry about dialing in a certain number. I've noticed no difference in the corals no matter where I fall in those ranges.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are a lot of variables such as coral species, fluctuations of your nutrient levels, and also where you keep parameters such as alk at that dictate where your nutrient levels should "optimally" be
Could you specify ? I’m not entirely sure what you’re talking about. Never heard about this

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my nitrates no higher than 25 ppm with a minimum of 10 ppm. Phosphate no higher than 0.12 ppm and a minimum of 0.05 ppm. The wider range gives me the most flexibility and I don't have to worry about dialing in a certain number. I've noticed no difference in the corals no matter where I fall in those ranges.
Isn’t that wider range still a fluctuation ? Granted, if your reef isn’t affected by this, then awesome !

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do need some nitrates and phosphates to grow and thrive. When there's high alk (high as in a lot higher than natural like maybe 11) they can build their skeletons faster and therefore require more nutrients....let me just say that this is what I've heard and not personally witnessed but it does make some sense (could always have misunderstood though)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The term chasing numbers is usually applied in a derogatory way by someone who does not agree that the value someone else is targeting is important or desirable.

I have never used the term myself and certainly don't plan to do so.

While I think there are ions that folks control that I do not think are useful to do so (e.g., strontium), I do not fault folks for working to provide the best environment they can,

Problems in "chasing numbers" really only arise if one does the chase in an inappropriate way, not because it's inherently wrong to try to optimize conditions.

There definitely are inherently wrong ways to chase numbers (e.g., adding products falsely claiming to boost pH and not alkalinity when trying to boost pH and not alkalinity), and also many right ways to run the chase,

If you chase appropriately, and assuming accurate testing, the worst that can happen in a waste of time and money.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chase nitrates and phosphates as I’ve had to fight dinos for many months and I don’t want them to reappear.

I also chase alkalinity as it tends to decrease constantly in my tank.
Same here -- been dosing phosphates daily for 3 months (and rarely small bump to nitrates) and my tank looks much better.

FWIW, my happy ranges are:
0.03-0.08 ppm phos
5-10 ppm nitrates
*higher better than lower for me

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back