Chasing pH and sodium hydroxide

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am trying to get increase the pH in my tank. I’ve been running an outside airline to my skimmer and I recently tried adding a co2 scrubber which made essentially no difference, I assume because the outside air has a relatively small amount of co2 to start with.

Since I can’t convince my wife and kids to live in tents in the yard I’ve decided to go with additives.
I currently use Randy’s recipe for two part with sodium carbonate for the alk. I am considering switching to sodium hydroxide.

My concern is that I don’t dose equally throughout the day. Since I dose more during the day than at night won’t using a higher pH alk supplement lead to a larger pH swing between night and day? If so I wonder if that is worse than having slightly low ph (7.8-8.0). If I do switch to sodium hydroxide can I just mix it with the little bit of sodium carbonate solution that is left in my container, or do I need to empty and rinse out the container before switching?

Outside air CO2 is typically 400ppm. Indoor air with windows closed is typically between 600 and 1000ppm. Anything over 1000 tens to be not so healthy for humans.

Adding outside air to a skimmer can help only if it's able to overcome the aeration from powerheads and return pump.

Let's assume for arguments sake that your pumps and powerheads are providing 90% of your tank's aeration and you Indoor air CO2 is 800. Then you effective aeration CO2 is 0.9 x 800 + 0.1 x 400 = 760.

With ank alk of 8dKH, Your expected pH bump would be 0.02 NBS.

If your skimmer was providing 90 of your aeration then your effective CO2 would be 440ppm.

With ank alk of 8dKH, Your expected pH bump would be 0.2 NBS.

Now this doesn't tell the whole story of pH in a tank, but adding an outside line to a skimmer may not have desired results due to insufficient aeration as compared to other sources.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on sodium hydroxide use?
No. I never started using it. After making this thread I saw someone else post that they had issues with their dosing container getting soft from the sodium hydroxide solution. So I started to get concerned about my dosing container not being able to safely store the solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use it as part of my very high pH two part recipes.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I never started using it. After making this thread I saw someone else post that they had issues with their dosing container getting soft from the sodium hydroxide solution. So I started to get concerned about my dosing container not being able to safely store the solution.
This ph chase is brutal!! I kept looking at alk dosing to bring up my ph, but it was making my alk uncomfortably high. I have my tank in a small office that my precense sends my nighttime ph into the 7.6s. YIKES. I ran my outside airline into my overflow and into my skimmer but I still get 7.6 at night. I have to find a way of reducing inside air exchange.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ph chase is brutal!! I kept looking at alk dosing to bring up my ph, but it was making my alk uncomfortably high. I have my tank in a small office that my precense sends my nighttime ph into the 7.6s. YIKES. I ran my outside airline into my overflow and into my skimmer but I still get 7.6 at night. I have to find a way of reducing inside air exchange.
I have actually replaced my CO2 scrubber media and it made a little bit of a difference. After talking to some other forum members I think I got a “bad” batch of media from BRS. With the new media I’m getting a range of 7.9-8.2, which I’m pretty happy with.
I am also considering setting up a refugium to run at night to help stabilize my pH.

Plus I still haven’t completely ruled out mixing my sodium carbonate solution with sodium hydroxide solution.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back