Chasing pH (yeah)

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Trying to get a good 8.3 pH, but it seems all my efforts have landed me at a steady 8.19 (max). Bothers me how it won’t reach 8.20, but I digress.

I have a calcium reactor, but recently added a mall stirrer into the mix JUST for pH. My tank sits “outside” in an enclosed part of my backyard which is connected to the main house as an extension so I can keep the windows open all day… which I do. And my max pH is 8.19?

My tank is 225Gs and my small stirrer doses 8.15ml a minute and I STILL can’t get it higher without nuking my tank with alk and calcium along with the 8.15ml from my CRx.

HOW do you achieve 8.3? Should I add a Co2 scrubber too? My skimmer is connected to an ozone generator which is connected to an air dryer next to an open window… even at night! I don’t get it!

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo the first thing to be sure is that the pH meter is calibrated.

Secondly, you mentioned CRx. The effluent of CRx is low pH, while kalkwasser is high pH. Which one are you using?

OP
OP
Arisbel

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo the first thing to be sure is that the pH meter is calibrated.

Secondly, you mentioned CRx. The effluent of CRx is low pH, while kalkwasser is high pH. Which one are you using?
The pH probe on my Apex is calibrated and accurate according to my Hanna pH checker as a reference.

I use both. However, I run my calcium reactor at 6.60+ at 8.15ml a minute. When I didn’t have kalk, my system was at a steady 8 pH and the dosage wasn’t split between the calcium reactor and the kalk stirrer like it is now. Which means the Calcium reactors dosage was closer to 20ml+ a minute and my pH was 8. So I don’t think it’s the calcium reactor.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH probe on my Apex is calibrated and accurate according to my Hanna pH checker as a reference.

I use both. However, I run my calcium reactor at 6.60+ at 8.15ml a minute. When I didn’t have kalk, my system was at a steady 8 pH and the dosage wasn’t split between the calcium reactor and the kalk stirrer like it is now. Which means the Calcium reactors dosage was closer to 20ml+ a minute and my pH was 8. So I don’t think it’s the calcium reactor.
So you reduced CRx and added some dosing from kalk. See some pH rise, but would like more?

OP
OP
Arisbel

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you reduced CRx and added some dosing from kalk. See some pH rise, but would like more?
The issue with doing that is magnesium. If I reduce the CRx, then magnesium wouldn’t be added in equal parts to Alk and calcium. Since Kalk doesn’t [usually] add magnesium, it would throw off my balance and magnesium would have to be supplemented from another source… which would basically make the existence of the CRx at that point redundant. No? Or am I very wrong?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add remag pellets to your calcium reactor. TLF makes them. Start with a small amount And test until you find the amount that provides stability.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with doing that is magnesium. If I reduce the CRx, then magnesium wouldn’t be added in equal parts to Alk and calcium. Since Kalk doesn’t [usually] add magnesium, it would throw off my balance and magnesium would have to be supplemented from another source… which would basically make the existence of the CRx at that point redundant. No? Or am I very wrong?
You are not wrong. In any case, kalk can only supply so much alk and calcium depending on your evaporation. CRx is still going to be your workhorse for supplement.

Back to your pH issue. Is the aquarium heavily stocked? Do you carbon dose? These have a potential to produce a lot of CO2 to drive down pH. Is your skimmer well sized? It will have an impact on how much CO2 can be out-gassed when skimmed with outdoor air.

OP
OP
Arisbel

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not wrong. In any case, kalk can only supply so much alk and calcium depending on your evaporation. CRx is still going to be your workhorse for supplement.

Back to your pH issue. Is the aquarium heavily stocked? Do you carbon dose? These have a potential to produce a lot of CO2 to drive down pH. Is your skimmer well sized? It will have an impact on how much CO2 can be out-gassed when skimmed with outdoor air.
Yes my skimmer is well sized and I even have to dial it back a bit by turning it off for 4 hours every night. No, I don’t carbon dose. I run an algae scrubber that’s currently still breaking in. My tank has only 5 fish and they’re all babies (less than 2 inches). As for corals, we stocked.

Also, my kalk is ran by a doser, not by evaporation.

OP
OP
Arisbel

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add remag pellets to your calcium reactor. TLF makes them. Start with a small amount And test until you find the amount that provides stability.
Yes, I already have remag. I’m saying if I dial back the calcium reactor where the remag is and dose more from the kalk stirrer, then won’t my magnesium ratio be off balance from alk and calcium?

OP
OP
Arisbel

Arisbel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So… I guess I achieved what I wanted. My pH sits pretty at a constant 8.3-8.36 and I didn’t really touch anything. Guess that worked out!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So… I guess I achieved what I wanted. My pH sits pretty at a constant 8.3-8.36 and I didn’t really touch anything. Guess that worked out!
How did that happen?

I’m currently at 8.10 - 8.20 when media is changed on my co2 scrubber.

I have a calcium reactor and just ordered a Kalkwasser stirrer to chase pH . kind of what your initial post was on this thread.

please share

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back