ChatGPT for Reefing videos

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
I built a Reefing Chatbot what I am excited to share with the reefing community: https://reef-chat.dattein.com/

It is an AI Chatbot that you can use to ask questions to Reefing videos. It is like Chat-GPT for reefing videos.

I've always struggled to find a piece of information I might have heard on a Podcast and the Reef Chat only helps find the information, but also to brainstorming the concepts discussed by the speakers.

Below is an example of asking the AI to describe Allan's concoction as a recipe.

I hope you like it and I would appreciate any kind of feedback.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 8.34.55 am.png

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing!
except that it tends to just makes stuff up and is not good at math or discerning fact from fiction... this hobby has enough BS without distorting it, amplifying it and reinforcing it with an AI that is not smart, but rather just a giant madlib... nice effort, but no thanks.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
except that it just makes stuff up... this hobby has enough BS without distorting it, amplifying it and reinforcing it with an AI that is not smart, but rather just a giant madlib... nice effort, but no thanks.
AI is just a large data model, it spits out only the info it has. If the model is based only on specific videos it would just be like a big search engine.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
except that it just makes stuff up... this hobby has enough BS without distorting it, amplifying it and reinforcing it with an AI that is not smart, but rather just a giant madlib... nice effort, but no thanks.
Makes stuff up isn't completely correct...but not wrong either. If AI pulls a bunch of incorrect information as source material than it will perpetuate it as truth in a manner that sounds like its from an educated source.

The problem is there is so much misinformation in the hobby as it is online. I can applaud the effort, but I'll admit I didn't click the link from OP to see how theirs is working.

I think the best thing to do for reef videos is to just subscribe to BRS (older videos seem less biased), tidal gardens, melev, and a few others

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI is just a large data model, it spits out only the info it has. If the model is based only on specific videos it would just be like a big search engine.
I am well aware of how they work :)

Each "AI" is different. In this case the subject is ChatGPT. It is a language based model - thus the "madlib" comparison. It (in the very generalist sense) places one word at a time and then looks to see what words can come next given the context and proper sentence structure compared to its "archive" of data. It is not "smart".

The scary part is that you ask it questions. You repeat its answers on the internet and then later it sucks that crap back and and "learns" from it. It is over time will get dumber, not smarter because it sucks its own drivel back in as input....

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes stuff up isn't completely correct...but not wrong either. If AI pulls a bunch of incorrect information as source material than it will perpetuate it as truth in a manner that sounds like its from an educated source.
Yep, was being very general... but suffice to say in general it makes stuff up :grimacing-face:

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an ever evolving hobby, using literature as the source material to curate videos for accuracy would be a better approach IMO.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an ever evolving hobby, using literature as the source material to curate videos for accuracy would be a better approach IMO.
I think that horse left the barn long ago. The collective knowledge is mostly in the participants. Not that there is not good information out there, but there is a sea of bad information as well because in the modern world it is ALL "published" and much of what is given weight or validity is based on anything but accuracy.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's the problem with BRS these days. Feels more like watching an ad than a video. The ultimate beginner series is still and always will be the best things for beginner aquarist.
That and the early investigates series have great data and wonderful time stamps

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that horse left the barn long ago. The collective knowledge is mostly in the participants. Not that there is not good information out there, but there is a sea of bad information as well because in the modern world it is ALL "published" and much of what is given weight or validity is based on anything but accuracy.
I agree.

I was thinking about specific topics of the hobby regarding "basic" chemistry concepts and disease/quarantine approaches by the likes of Randy and Jay, etc.

Not sure how you'd know what was in my head at the time of my comment. Too many hotel bar beers haha

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be useful if you don’t want to listen to a whole podcast, etc. and just get the cliff notes. Not sure if this is YouTube legal or not though.

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this is a good use case for AI especially if you want accurate information… I’d rather just search for key words in the video transcript then just read that section or watch the video at that time stamp.

OP
OP
FranklinDattein

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be curious to see what type of bs the AI will output. Don't hesitate to post it hear for our learning and entertainment. :)

I understand the skepticism and negativity towards AI and as someone immersed in the field, I've seen my fair chair of absurdity. What I can say is that AI is a tool, and like any tool, it will work better if you learn how to use it.
Try to approach it as an assistant and not as a source of information like Google, and I think you are going to get a better experience.

I wouldn't trust an AI response for something I have no previous knowledge and without further validating it elsewhere. However, as an assistant to find, debate and brainstorm on an existing body of text, I find the results to be amazing.

The use-case in the screenshot in the first post is a good example. Try to find Allan's concoction on the web and you will be looking for a couple of hours and will probably end with more questions than answers.
With this tool it only took me 30 secs to realize it is not a topic I want to spend 2h watching.

Would I encourage anyone to replicate a recipe based solely on an AI? Probably not.

Happy reef chatting!

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am well aware of how they work :)

Each "AI" is different. In this case the subject is ChatGPT. It is a language based model - thus the "madlib" comparison. It (in the very generalist sense) places one word at a time and then looks to see what words can come next given the context and proper sentence structure compared to its "archive" of data. It is not "smart".

The scary part is that you ask it questions. You repeat its answers on the internet and then later it sucks that crap back and and "learns" from it. It is over time will get dumber, not smarter because it sucks its own drivel back in as input....
LoL I didn't look to see who I was replying to. Even ChatGPT can work if you aren't using the public model. The algorithms are decent, but you are right in the built in bias. The companies who own them love their ESG scores.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbyist: “ H.A.L. does white light cause algae?”

A.I. : male pattern baldness is solved by exposing one’s scalp to unfiltered midday Sun”

Hobbyist: I said Algae not hair, anyway, what about cancer risk?

A.I : cancer is the Earths “ cure” of the human race
:confused:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back