Cheap 90 gal build

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started out as a free 90 gallon tank, sump, starter lights , sand and rock... Evolving into at least a medium cost build ... not cheap.... When people tell you the cheapest part of your whole build is the glass box... Listen and believe them....

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built the stand 2x4's and plywood
IMG_1376.JPG

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be a mixed reef... I got the frag tank full of frags before winter really hits... Have had trouble with one coral order already on 54 degree day for highs with no heat pack... They will stay in the frag tank for at least a few more months... This tank has had water in it for the last 65 or so days... Pair of clowns, yellow tang, and dottyback so far for fish, and 5 turbo snails... I went through the first diatom bloom already... Time to triple the clean up crew as they are just almost keeping up with the tank from being real ugly with algae...
IMG_1440.JPG

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the stand extra tall for easy of working under it... added a 40 gallon refugium and when complete it will have a 24x24 x 14 inch deep frag tank along side of it....
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be real close to 180 gallon system when complete.. Less rock probably real close to 150 gallon of water volume.... I am having the glass company cut me 1/2 inch glass and going to silicone the frag tank together myself and drill it for overflows.... Rimless design.... Next I will get a UFO light for the refugium and 2 ViaSpectra 165 wyatts on the 90 gallon and 1 on the frag tank.... These are next on the to buy list.... And then will upgrade powerheads ... I am thinking 1 maxspect and 1 MP 40 for starters... I can use the cheap ones I have in the tank right now for starters for the frag tank...This cheap build is already getting way out of hand $ wise compared to our original thoughts on this almost free everything to get started..

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water in sump looks little high. Just in case u lose power u got to think bout the water from tank that's going drain into sump. Just what I think. But tank looks good like the rock work nice little tables for corals

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the refugium... Not the sump.... Sump sits next to it. A seperate tank set up.. It will not overflow when lose of power to pumps...

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for going slow... I put 6 of the frags out of the frag tank into it already. Figured I didn't have anything to lose by doing it.. These are zoas and chalices that were not doing good in the frag tank for whatever reason..Plus the 2 frogspawn... So far so good for these frags...

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are on the right track.

I actually chuckled out loud when I read the title of this thread. "Cheap 90 gal build" this doesn't exist. :p

OP
OP
D

Dave Garrett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 60-70 frags before winter really hits... I know better then to do more then 10-12 but weather had me concerned as we had one order come in cold and lost about 1/4 of it already on a 54 degree day for a high... I have been killing pests...That is a bunch of frags at one time to keep after the bits of Bryopis, Aptaisa and Vermited Snails that pop up every 3-4 days...But frag tank is right next to my PC and I been watching it close..My plan was to quarantine all corals till around Xmas but I have moved a few that were doing bad in the frag system to the 90 already...Bayer, Revive and Peroxide dips have not done much for these pests...Trying our best to keep pest out of the new build... But when experienced folks say to get smaller frags and only a few at a time... This is good info that should be heeded...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back