Cheap and easy DIY acclimation chamber

  • Thread starter Thread starter Outlaw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Outlaw

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
309
Reaction score
32
Location
Starkville, Misississippi.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to potentially add a second pair of Ocellaris to my tank as I am tearing down my frag tank and would rather not sell them. Obviously, I want to put them in an acclimation chamber first and gauge the response.

I couldn't find anything designed for that purpose at my local pet store, so I had to improvise, lol.

Ladies and Gents, I give you

The acclimation/observation/isolation

DEATH STAR!!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446853345.925873.jpg


For a whopping $7, I found a hamster ball and a pair of heater holders, an it works great! The heater holders go right through the slots on the ball. Didn't even end up using the glue!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446853437.352147.jpg
 
That's awesome! I've been wondering what to do for an acclimation chamber. Thank you for sharing! I love simple DIY!
 
My experiment. My big Mama checked out the globe a time or two with the two clowns in it, and didn't think much of it or them. Decided to throw some pellet in the globe and not in the display. Wrasseputin was trying to eat pellets through the plastic, and this was the clowns' response.

I would like to know how you interpret the behavior.

I preface the video with my reasoning that my current pair hugs the right back corner and is hosted by a power head (despite a rbta 6 inches away and reaching for them, lol (it hosted, I changed something, it moved and came back, they forgot how to be clowns). The black and whites always lived in the bottom left corner of the frag tank with no nem and I am acclimating them in the left side of the tank. Not 5 minutes later, big mama was back in the right back corner.

Think there's a chance?

 
Love the acclimitization idea.

It doesn't seem like a good idea to have 2 females in one tank especially a smallish one. It seems like you'd end up with only one female and 2 males.
 
They make get along for awhile but you will lose a female. I tried it in a 125g with anemones on both sides of tank. Took about three months.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new