Cheap ATO for 29g

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the tunze nano. I have had 2 over the years and both worked great for $99.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NEVER use this product again. Dumped multiple gallons into my sump multiple times (high water level sensor is bogus), causing drastic salinity swings and some really ticked coral.. And yes, the siphon break was installed ABOVE the water line in the ATO container.

Literally don't waste your money.. you'll spend $60 on this trying to save $40, hate it, and end up buying the Duetto or something like it for around $100 a couple months down the road, putting you out even more $$$ in the long run.

Been there done that, no thanks.
You haven’t worked out than what caused the issue. You need a snail guard around the sensor as I saw them trigger it when they decided to clean it. :)
Works like a charm since

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My auto top off system is very simple. I made an acrylic tank that sits in the web of the stand and holds just under 10 gallons.

IMG_20180223_205143.jpg

IMG_20180223_121548.jpg

The reservoir, being higher than the sump, uses gravity to flow water to a float valve in the sump. There is a needle valve inline that has the flow restricted to a slow drip in case the float valve fails. (It never has.) By design the sump has the space to hold all the fresh water from the tank, even with the return pump off. However, slowing the water flow would give the live stock more time to adjust to the small change in salinity from the addition of the fresh water.

IMG_20180803_223815.jpg

To refill the top off reservoir, I run a 25' water line directly my RODI filter mounted in the laundry room. I also installed a float valve in the reservoir so I can turn the water on and ignore it for 30 minutes and it never overflows.

IMG_20180803_224020.jpg

IMG_20180803_223815.jpg

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duetto is on sale this weekend

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree, its something I have to get now that I've moved to a 29g from a 55g. The salinity swings are insane compared to what I was use to
They can be just as bad with an ato in a nano if you have floss or socks...I’ve ended up removing mind as the floss when slightly dirty was enough to slow the flow down triggering the ato.

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be just as bad with an ato in a nano if you have floss or socks...I’ve ended up removing mind as the floss when slightly dirty was enough to slow the flow down triggering the ato.
I had a fish that would go to sleep in front of the overflow and my duetto would shut down after filling for a certain amount of time.

that fish drove me crazy but eventually stopped.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fish that would go to sleep in front of the overflow and my duetto would shut down after filling for a certain amount of time.

that fish drove me crazy but eventually stopped.

lol yes same happened with my Royal gramma!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, hopefully my flame hawk doesn't try to perch on the sensor..

The sensor will be in the back compartment, just watch it doesn't decide to sleep in front of the overflow, which reduces the flow which sets off the ato falsely.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of some way to set the sensor down in some sort of container. That should offset the heavy flow in my tank and keep any livestock from messing with it.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of some way to set the sensor down in some sort of container. That should offset the heavy flow in my tank and keep any livestock from messing with it.

I'm guessing you have an aio tank? If so there is only one place for the sensor and that is in with the return, the last compartment as that is where the water lvl drops, no live stock should be in there anyway and it should be calm enough too, no need to box it in, just clean it every now and again.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 29g with hob filter and hob skimmer, so no special compartments. Hmmm..

ohhh that changes things, a few issues you have to overcome there...I know of one ato where the sensor can go on the outside of the tank but that's from the UK so probably work out expensive to ship over there.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ordered the Reef Breeders Prism ATO. Im hoping I can put the sensor inside the return box for the skimmer. It's really just a small little box that hooks onto the side of the tank to catch the water coming out of the skimmer hose into the tank. I don't use it for the skimmer anymore so I'm hoping I can find a spot where my flow isn't constantly moving the water.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ato come with a wave safety device, it will only switch on if the water lvl is low for a few seconds, waves will not trigger the ato.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a digital timer that turns on for a couple minutes every 3 hours. It's attached to a float switch from autotopoff.com My pump is an aqualifter. Not including the reservoir it costs about $70.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity float valve.
No electricity, no controller, no sensors or pumps. Nothing to fail and it cost me $14 lol

Yep that is what I used back in the day.

5 Gallon plastic container that gravity fed a float valve in my sump.

Just make sure you sump can handle the extra water without overflowing if the float valve sticks. I had to refill my ATO container about once a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back