CHEAP Chillers

Zach Sonker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a chiller before, recently came across a cheap old jbj 28gal hqi... read online these get hot.

Anyone ever use these cheap chillers on ebay? I dont know if its better to save up for a new better chiller, wait on a used chiller of a better brand, or try getting one of these and hoping it works.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Aquarium-Adj...-160gph-Water-Pump/591362750?iid=252429275529

Link included, I've always used leds or tubes, first halide light (and I want to try it.)

THANKS!

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a radiator with a fan on it. Dos it use a compressor and Freon. If it doesn’t then it will only cool the water to room temperature and probably won’t keep up with cooling the tank

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ryan Rosales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a chiller using a Peltier device (thermoelectric chiller/heater) to cool your aquarium water, the technology is also used for commercial applications such as microprocessor cooling, drinks and champagne chiller, mobile cooling boxes and more, the Peltier device is also being used in space due to its low operating voltage and power consumption.
Similar to the technology of Chill Solutions CSXC-1 and Ice Probe* by Coolworks.
Make sure it’s with a titanium heat exchanger for seawater use.

Ryan Rosales

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only 72w I doubt it can offer any real cooling and for the price I don't think it is a true chiller with a condenser. This is the best budget chiller you can get that is a true chiller with a condenser:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048IVBT...t=&hvlocphy=9031042&hvtargid=pla-350859033263

That’s a good working chiller! I’ve had that last summer since my tank temp was sky rocketing from 77’F to as high as 85.6’F. Kept the temperature stable with 1-2’F differential.
That’s similar to Aqua Euro USA chiller but way, way more affordable.

OP
OP
Zach Sonker

Zach Sonker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only 72w I doubt it can offer any real cooling and for the price I don't think it is a true chiller with a condenser. This is the best budget chiller you can get that is a true chiller with a condenser:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048IVBT...t=&hvlocphy=9031042&hvtargid=pla-350859033263

Thanks, that chiller actually is on a top 10 list for best chillers of 2017... i wish they had a 1/15 version... thanks a lot guys, first halide light and i dont want to come home to boiled fish.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, you will want a chiller with a titanium heat exchanger so that it does not break down in saltwater. There is some debate on if a stainless, copper, tin, etc. exchanger will release metals into the tank in sufficient quantites to be an issue, but there is no doubt that they will break down over time. If you know what the heat exchanger is made of, then you could ask Dr. Holmes-Farley if it poses an issue.

Always pay attention the heat exchanger on any chiller, but especially hydroponics ones since most metal will not corrode as much in freshwater.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got this chiller. It works - but I would recommend having a controller control it. The thermostat on it only handles round numbers and requires it to surpass a 2* change to turn the condenser on. So I had it set for 79 and it would hit 82 before turning on and dropping back down to 79.

I switched it to my controller that is set to 80* and triggers heating/cooling with 0.5 changes. So at 80.5 chiller kicks on and drops it down to 79.5.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a second hand Hailea hc-150A it works great at keeping the temp down in the tank, but it puts out a lot of heat into the room from the unit. All my other tanks were heating up about 3-4 deg c. Not worth the 300 I paid. I am going to invest in a window reverse cycle air con. I will only have to turn it on twice a day for about an hour to cool the room and the same with the heat setting in winter. At the moment I'm running about 800w in heaters. I can hopefully get rid of 6 cords in the process.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back