Cheap USB Microscope Review

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to post details on this for a while now, so I have finally got round to it.

@dansreef Created a topic on how useful having a microscope is in identifying potential issues and I couldn't agree more.

So often we see a photo of a sand bed with the question what is this brown stuff? Diatoms? Dinoflagellates? Cyanobacteria? Frankly who knows without taking a sample and examining under a microscope.

I picked up this cheap USB microscope for £12.53 from China. My thought process at the time was, it cost next to nothing so if it does turn out to be junk I wouldn't be upset about it.

20180212_122630.jpg

The first problem I encountered was the fact that the software came on a small CD and I no longer have a computer with a CD/DVD drive on.

So with a bit of hunting around, I managed to download the software, which was called Gaosuo.

My next challenge came with installing the darn software! After a bit more googling, I discovered that I needed to change the system locale to Chinese (Traditional, Taiwan) and reboot.

image001.jpg

Note that I am using Windows 7 still and I imagine there would be compatibility issues with other later versions of Windows and I don't have a clue about Mac OS compatibility.

After the reboot, I went ahead and installed the software successfully and was able to start using my microscope.

This first screenshots are at the lowest magnification level and this is what the software looks like from a GUI perspective.

microscope1.jpg

The sample chosen here is a small piece of live rock, suspended in some of my tank water. As you can see we have a small tuft of algae and some spirorbis.

The next pictures are at maximum magnification and focusing of the algae strands and the spirorbis.

microscope3.jpg

microscope4.jpg

As you can see, we are able to see the individual stands and the spirorbis' extending its filter feeding tenticles.

So to summarise, this cheap little microscope, isn't the best in the world, but for what I need with regards my reef, it serves a purpose and does the job it was intended for, so gets a thumbs up from me and was well worth the £12.53 I spent on it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspired. So this helped me a lot to finally purchase a microscope type device that would work with my Mac. Thanks. Here's the one I just ordered.
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 12.59.14 PM.png

Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm Observation Stand for Windows, Mac, Linux (2MP, 250x Magnification)

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00XN...e_1?smid=A3HIHADV23VGU1&psc=1#customerReviews

Will update once received. Thanks again. I have been going over and over with all the microscopes available. :)

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the call out. I think an investment in a microscope is really a no-brainer. If nothing else, it is pretty cool to put really anything under it just to learn more about your tank. Please share more pictures you take.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

johnlab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, many people have this microscope, even I had it, but I gave it to my child, since I need something more serious. Now I have several of them, one is Altami BIO1, see what kind of photos are obtained (photos attached). I would also recommend you to try another program, it has a more convenient interface and you can also process photos in real time: http://alelso.com/projects/altami-studio/

delimiter_en (1).jpg

27752458_153135972054146_2372378265115934265_n.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G let us know how the Mac software goes and please post some pics! (Start a thread too!)

@Ludders I'm gonna have to post this into my Selecting a microscope thread for reference!

I wondered about these "ispection scopes" but there aren't too many people using them for things like algae ID.....at least when I looked. I like the high magnification (1200x) on my toy scope, so I wondered if I'd miss having it on one of these?

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am going to have to look into this. I never even thought about it. Thanks for posting this!

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I bump this thread back up? Looking at a microscope and a usb would be cool if it works for $35. What was the verdict? Not super excited to change the language to Chinese and go through all of that.

OP
OP
Ludders

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a simple enough change to make temporarily to the system locale, then set it back once you have installed the software.

The microscope actually works well enough for identifying bacteria such as dinoflagellates, so my verdict is, it served a purpose without costing too much money.

I don't use it that much, but it's still on my desk when I need it.

Also get some glass slides to use, they help no end. HTH.

Back