Cheato algae in a new tank?

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have the fluval 12. I added a large clump of filter floss, a sponge, and additional bio balls to my already existing stock filtration setup. I also added a 210gph wave maker and run a protein skimmer. I have been cycled number wise for about three weeks with consistent 0 readings on am. ni. and n.a.'s. Phosphates between 0-.25 (lowered my feeding habits when I started not getting 0 across the bored). I have 18 pounds of rock in my tank and I plan to cover it all in coral. I already have a few frags in there. My diatom bloom has come to an end and I want to prevent any algae I can now that it's open season. My question is, will Cheato algae give me some sort of advertise affects? Such as competing for nutrients in the water with my frags at this early stage? Compete with necessary algeas?
Also, thoughts on Cheato moss doing the job I'm looking for in general? I would plan to get two clumps and put them into breeder boxes that fit under my skimmer

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have the fluval 12. I added a large clump of filter floss, a sponge, and additional bio balls to my already existing stock filtration setup. I also added a 210gph wave maker and run a protein skimmer. I have been cycled number wise for about three weeks with consistent 0 readings on am. ni. and n.a.'s. Phosphates between 0-.25 (lowered my feeding habits when I started not getting 0 across the bored). I have 18 pounds of rock in my tank and I plan to cover it all in coral. I already have a few frags in there. My diatom bloom has come to an end and I want to prevent any algae I can now that it's open season. My question is, will Cheato algae give me some sort of advertise affects? Such as competing for nutrients in the water with my frags at this early stage? Compete with necessary algeas?
Also, thoughts on Cheato moss doing the job I'm looking for in general? I would plan to get two clumps and put them into breeder boxes that fit under my skimmer
Where are you at I would give you some I throw out a good bit every week just dumped some yesterday I guess I could put it in an envelope and ,ail it to you

OP
OP
M

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha that's funny, nice to meet you mark, I'm Mark. I'm located in New York 11375, if it isn't to big a problem

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha that's funny, nice to meet you mark, I'm Mark. I'm located in New York 11375, if it isn't to big a problem
PM me your address I will stick some in the mail tomorrow I had to buy mine and now it bothers me as much as I throw out lol

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what corals you want to keep but here's my opinion. Some corals like nitrates that are around 5 ppm, if you added cheato now then I'd be worried about the corals not getting enough Nutrients. But that's just my two pennies

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on @mcarroll A little algae in a new tank is probably healthier than a nutrient starved tank. There is still a good bit of maturation that occurs after a diatom bloom. There is a decent chance the if you added Chaeto at this point it would fade and die after further stripping your tank of nutrients.

OP
OP
M

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, thank you for the generous offer, but all these people have steered me in the right decision. I appreciate it, everyone, thank you

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back