Cheato with Dino

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I have a dino bloom do I need to remove my Cheato even if i'm dosing nitrate and phos?
algae 1.jpg
algae 2.jpg
algae 3.jpg

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its stringy with bubbles and covers the leather corals and back display ..constantly blowing it off the corals..
Comes back fast.. Dino x and or chemiclean next step.
If I keep the cheato going wont it fight for the nutrients.. Lights on the sump and blues only in the DT..
looking for some guidance.

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce lighting period. Cheato may be too effective for you. Also consider using dinox..it will beat this thing without harming fish or coral.

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce lighting period. Cheato may be too effective for you. Also consider using dinox..it will beat this thing without harming fish or coral.
When you say too effective.. I will be dosing nitrate and phos if needed to keep it up.. just think the cheato light will move the Dino's to the refugium..does DinoX have any effect on cheato?

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say too effective.. I will be dosing nitrate and phos if needed to keep it up.. just think the cheato light will move the Dino's to the refugium..does DinoX have any effect on cheato?
Dino X have no effect to macro algea. It speed up killing dino bacteria. Up dosing and blackout will help, but it ll be very slow and IMO not that effective.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing low range phosphates and nitrate? What are the numbers? Not a good idea to guess when you can get data and make an informed decision.

You have dinos, but not at all a plague. I'd skip dosing Dino X (which doesn't work on all species of dinos), up your nitrate and phosphate, and turn off your refugium light for 3-4 days. A bacterial additive might help increase competition and outcompete the dinos. A blackout wouldn't hurt for 48-72 hours.

OP
OP
Lithoman

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes testing Po4 with hanna and nitrates with API. I test every other day .. now daily.
Yesterday Po4 was 34 PPB and Po3 was 5 ..Dosing Nitrate and heavy feeding for P04... Have kept my Cheato out the ref and in a bucket the last two days.
Turned up the MP40s to keep as much suspended in the water column hoping to catch as much as possible in the filter socks.. I have some chemiclean on hand but was waiting for the Dinox to come in.. not sure if I start with the chemiclean till the dinox comes in.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back