Checkerboard wrasse something stuck in mouth

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My checkerboard wrasse has something stuck in his mouth. Looks like it could possibly be part of a Vermetid snail. I have 0 chance of catching this guy. What are the odds he figures out how to dislodge it in his own? He hides in the rocks soon as I put anything in the water to try and catch him.
IMG_8037.jpeg

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try posting in Wrasse lovers tread, there are some great experts over there. Should get you an answer

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has been slow growing could it be an ofontode or dermal tooth? They originate in the pharanx in wrasses (in other organisms embryonicaly?) and migrate to the mouth. This looks like it has a wider base to it. It may be the angle of the picture so if it is truely a free object in the mouth then mm.

Maybe Jay can make sense of it @Jay Hemdal

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ran into something hard. There is nothing you can do to treat this other than keeping the water quality high & aerated, and keeping him fed.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look to be in his upper jaw. Trap baited with food to catch.
Wonder if it is something stuck if it would work its way way. Hmm

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look to be in his upper jaw. Trap baited with food to catch.
Wonder if it is something stuck if it would work its way way. Hmm
Ya. The shape of the two jaws look intact. Maybe something impaled him like vermatid as mentioned above rather than something stuck in oral cavity.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try and get a better picture. He’s chasing food but doesn’t look like he’s actually able to eat much. I’ve had him 3 years. I don’t think it’s a growth. It just appeared a couple of days ago. I have a 1 liter soda bottle trap in the tank but he has been avoiding it. It has caught several smaller fish though.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.., that's not from running into things. I suspect it is bacterial infection simply bc it doesn't look like the typical parasite or internal issues & it's not from an injury or fight.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a hard one. Good pic but rexolution still hard to tell if infection or some type of impalement. Mouth parts look intact though. Beautiful wrasse. Keep trying the trap.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.., that's not from running into things. I suspect it is bacterial infection simply bc it doesn't look like the typical parasite or internal issues & it's not from an injury or fight.
If it’s bacterial what’s the treatment? I’ve never seen a fish with this before. It didn’t grow slowly. One day he was normal the next it was there. He cannot close his mouth either.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s bacterial what’s the treatment? I’ve never seen a fish with this before. It didn’t grow slowly. One day he was normal the next it was there. He cannot close his mouth either.
Nothing effective in a reef setting IME. Anything anti-bacterial will also possibly harm the good bacteria in your tank. So anything that’s branded “reef safe” for bacterial infection carries risk to me.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back